Reader reviews and comments on The Lieutenant, plus links to write your own review.

The Lieutenant

by Kate Grenville

The Lieutenant by Kate Grenville

Sep 2009, 320 pages
    Sep 2010, 320 pages

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Lieutenant

Madeline (09/23/09)

A Novel of Discovery
Author Kate Grenville has a new fan! Her simple and straightforward style belies a depth and complexity of both story and characters. This is not only a novel of science and exploration, but also of discovery - discovery of place and peoples and language, discovery of self and purpose.
Eileen (09/23/09)

Australia's origins and the importance of words
In this beautifully written and delightful novel, Grenville seamlessly weaves historical fact together with a multitude of philosophical questions in order to create a vivid and compelling story. As Daniel Rooke and his fellow Englishmen explore a new and challenging land, Rooke makes equally important discoveries about what kind of man he is and what friendship can mean. The Lieutenant would be an outstanding discussion book.
Power Reviewer Beverly (09/23/09)

Australia & the Astronomer
I very much enjoyed this book. Grenville's fictionalized account of the British colonization of Australia gives an immediate & intimate perspective of the newly formed penal colony. The interactions between the "natives" and eccentric protagonist Daniel Rooke are small jewels of description. His interest and friendship with the natives rings true, as does his realization of what's important in his life. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy literary fiction; a thought provoking read.

• Book Jacket: I See You
    I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh
    Clare MackIntosh has written a haunting thriller that has kept our readers at the edge of their ...
  • Book Jacket: Perfect Little World
    Perfect Little World
    by Kevin Wilson
    It might be the beginning of a tragic story: Izzy Poole falls in love with her mentally unstable ...
  • Book Jacket: Pachinko

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say

K Your F C