Reader reviews and comments on South of Broad, plus links to write your own review.

by Pat Conroy

Aug 2009, 528 pages
    May 2010, 544 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for South of Broad

Fred (09/23/09)

Welcome back, Mr. Conroy!
South of Broad will offer the true Conroy fan many familiar elements - suicide, the look and smell of the salt marsh, athletics, deep familial scars, the south, other parts of the country as seen through the prism of the south, verbal skirmishes ... and even some James Joyce. In the story a wildly eclectic group of friends race through a fast moving plot and several "Big Chill" moments. While the plot can be a little contrived and the dialogue occasionally too cute, it is overall a good enjoyable read. Although it falls short of Prince of Tides this book shows there is life after Beach Music and gives me hope that Mr. Conroy will return to the regular creation of exceptional novels ... I for one have missed him.
Elizabeth (09/23/09)

South of Broad
Pat Conroy has done it again. I was completely immersed in the book. The characters were described so well, I felt as if I knew each one. His love of Charleston is strongly sensed by the reader.

How wonderful for a group of friends to be so strongly bonded. An excellent book.
Deborah (09/23/09)

South of Broad by Pat Conroy
I have been an ardent fan of Mr. Conroy and waited impatiently these last 14 years for another novel, after reading Beach Music. I was ecstatic to see that South of Broad was 500 plus pages and looked forward to his unique command of language and his ability to spin a story that captures a reader's attention from the first sentence.

The 14 year lapse did nothing to diminish his wonderful way with words, drawing the reader into a world of words that are pure pleasure to reread over and over. I can not say the same for the plot or the character development. I found the plot to be predictable and boring. The novel seems to be overburden with too many characters that lack character development and a reason to continue in their varied relationships. The novel is disjointed in the 20 year transition from childhood in 1969 Charleston to Part Two where the only thing that changes is the year,1989.
I had no doubts that my 14 year wait would be rewarded with another Conroy masterpiece ...sadly, I was wrong.
Linda (09/23/09)

Somewhat of a let-down for a huge Conroy fan
This book is, essentially, a love story - to the city of Charleston, the Catholic faith, and friendship. While I won't go into plot specifics, like all of Mr. Conroy's previous novels, the writing is very descriptive, and the story is framed by a tragic childhood. The book employs many references to James Joyce and the reader unfamiliar with Joyce will miss some of the suggested nuances. While I enjoyed the book, I didn't love it the way I did his previous novels; it just wasn't as powerful.
Kathleen (09/23/09)

South of Broad
Mr Conroy's new book South of Broad was worth the wait. Making use of the magic of language ,he tells the story of a time,a group of friends and a city. These themes are woven together in a seamless interdependent manner. This book will appeal to a broad reader base.
Linda (09/23/09)

South of Broad in true Conroy style
With characters as lush and vibrant as a Charleston garden, Pat Conroy weaves a story about life-long friendship and human connection that cannot be broken by time, distance, nor violence. Conroy's writing is tragic, with even more Southern drawl and flair for the dramatic than his previous novels. A must-read for all fans in search of the Great American Novel.
Mary Lee (09/23/09)

A Wonderful Beach Book
With South of Broad, an ode to the beauty of Charleston and the joys and sorrows of friendship, Pat Conroy pulled me into his imagined world from page one. It's not the first time this has happened and I hope it won't be the last. The most vivid complex character is the city itself. He captures the smells, sights, sounds and spirit of this beautiful, fragile place.
Fran (09/23/09)

Another winner from Pat Conroy
I was so pleased to have the opportunity to read and review this book. I have read all of Mr. Conroy's fiction and enjoyed the books in varying degrees.

I found the descriptions of Charleston so vivid that I felt I was there. The story itself seemed to bog down in the middle, but by the end of the book I was totally immersed in the world of Leo King and his friends.

All in all, a pleasure to read.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Be sincere, be brief, be seated

The Big Holiday Wordplay: