Reader reviews and comments on South of Broad, plus links to write your own review.

by Pat Conroy

Aug 2009, 528 pages
    May 2010, 544 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for South of Broad

Margaret (09/23/09)

South of Broad, instant best seller
South of Broad is an instant best seller and here is why:

The story immediately draws in the reader. The writing is excellent with many spots of humor as well as suspense. The plot takes place in Charleston, S.C. depicting three generations of friends. character development is well done and believable. the reader finds the story line delightful, funny and at times sad. the plot keeps ones interest up to the very end.

Only criticism is that it is a bit wordy at times.
Janet (09/23/09)

A Journey Worth Taking
This is the fourth book I have read by Pat Conroy . In his beautiful melodic prose (he could have been a composer or an artist), Conroy takes us on a journey with the friends young Leo King makes as a teenager into their adulthood, and in some cases, their deaths). His parents are equally important in making Leo the man he is to become. The town of Charleston weaves it's magic into this poignant, funny, tragic and mysterious tale, making the author's love of his city most apparent. Make no mistake--Charleston is as major a character as are the human subjects.

So settle in for a magnificent story that will not disappoint your sense of adventure, and prepare yourself for a journey worth taking.
Joselle (09/23/09)

Loved it!
I completely devoured this book and was easily lost in the low country and lives of the characters. Pat Conroy writes so well, there were sections where I just lingered over sentences...they are so beautifully written especially when he is describing the city of Charleston.

I recommend the book heartily...it would be great for book clubs. And I am now very anxious to read come of Conroy's earlier work.
Brooke (09/23/09)

Hoping for Better
I have been a fan of Pat Conroy’s writing since 1987, when I read the The Prince of Tides. I appreciated the beauty of the images and depth of the truths his words and sentences evoked in me. Since then, I have read all of his books. I noticed a shift in his writing in his last novel, Beach Music. I felt he was caving in to the pressures of popular fiction by adding superfluous intrigue into the story. Sadly, for me, South of Broad is more of the same. The novel is overwritten and has a contrived and predictable plot. I found a few beautifully crafted sentences, but not enough to recommend the book.
Sandra (09/23/09)

Wanted to love this book!
Conroy's vivid descriptions and imagery really bring Charleston to life, the place he calls "the most beautiful streets in America." The setting is the book's strongest element. I was disappointed by many of the characters who struck me as either stereotypes or caricatures. The bond Leo and his friends have after twenty years is enviable, but the the entire group faced so much drama that the novel was reminiscent of a soap opera.
Vicky (09/23/09)

worth the wait
Each and every page in this book kept me interested - held my attention. There wasn't a paragraph that was skipped. I can't say that about too many books, and believe me I have read many in my 53 years. Can't wait to recommend it to my sister's book club.
Brenda (09/23/09)

South of Broad is an exceptional read!
I would rate this book a ’10’! It is a ‘must read’! I just did not want it to end!

South of Broad is a captivating story about nine high school students whose lives are irrevocably linked together the summer before their senior year of high school. Themes of love, lust, abuse, hate, belonging, and racism fuel these friendships, which extend over twenty years. The author, Pat Conroy, is an amazing story teller. His characters became my companions…my friends. His writing is grand and beautiful. Many times I read and reread lines to totally grasp the rhythm and depth of his words. And, last but not least…the real star of the book is Charleston, South Carolina, the “Mansion on the River”. What a love for the city this author has!
Paul (09/23/09)

South of Broad
I continue to be amazed by Pat Conroy's descriptive abilities. In a line he is able to make the reader taste, smell, and feel the south.

Not up to the standards of "Prince of Tides" or "Beach Music." The characters seem forever trapped in a state of adolescence with raging hormones dictating their every action, but their story was engaging and the pages seemed to turn themselves.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All