Reader reviews and comments on Sweeping Up Glass, plus links to write your own review.

by Carolyn Wall

Aug 2008, 278 pages
    Aug 2009, 336 pages

There are currently 40 reader reviews for Sweeping Up Glass

Fran (09/01/09)

Sweeping Up Glass
I enjoyed the book. I read it while I was on vacation, (accompanied by one husband, six children and six grandchildren). But I found it to be an interesting "discussion" of a period of time we know about but may not have been aware of at the time. As a child growing up in California my parents were the ones that got us through the Depression. It was interesting to read how other parts of the country survived the period. I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Bonnie (08/27/09)

Thought provoking and more
This is a "must read." I agree with other reviewers that it was hard to get into at first, but later realized that I needed that background to understand the rest. I am recommending it to my friends. Carolyn Wall really tells a story; I can't wait to see what she does next. (No pressure Ms. Wall.)
Marti (08/13/09)

finding answers
This was a remarkable story that dragged you into it almost from the beginning. It takes place in Pope County, Kentucky during the depression with all the tensions of poverty and racism during that time. For the main character, Olivia, life is not easy and she is trying to find answers. I found the story line was strong and the images even stronger. Carolyn Walls is a new author and her first book is poignant and haunting.

Once I started I had trouble putting the book down. I found myself firmly brought into the story and alternately worrying and cheering Olivia onward. This book won't be easily forgotten.
Sharon (08/10/09)

Sweeping Up Glass
When I first started reading the book, I wasn't sure that I would like it. After I got into it a little more, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt like I was living there with them. Everyone involved had a very hard life. It almost read like a memoir instead of a novel. It was a hard book to put down, once I really got involved in it.
Joan (08/10/09)

Sweeping Glass
I wasn't sure I was going to like this story but after a few pages, I was hooked. I actually could not put it down. The more I read the more I liked it. This was a great read. The story of Olivia in old Kentucky leading a very hard life - many emotions involved. When Olivia realizes what is going on, the suspense is there. Looking forward to more from the author.
Barbara (08/10/09)

A simple story with a simple truth
Every once in a while a fictional character becomes so real you care about what happens. A simple story with a simple truth like the original Shall We Dance or Dear Frankie makes for a great story.

When I sink into a book and let the world carry on without me, when I can't wait to pick up the book and continue or when I just don't put the book down until the very last page, I know that I have found such a story.

My heart beat with Olivia's at every turn of the page. She was honest, strong, brave and resilient. As so many women do, she sacrificed and carried on. She loved and was shocked when love came back to her. She touched my heart.

With a smile and a tear and a thank you to Carolyn Wall, I closed the book.
Susan (08/10/09)

Fantastic Read
During the first few pages of this book, I kept putting it down - I didn't think that I could read it. However, once I learned all of the major characters, I got totally engrossed in it. I didn't want to read it too fast and miss anything. The book is fantastic and would be a great book club reading project....there are so many areas of the book that could be discussed in a group. The book presented a true picture of life in the south during the Depression...but it was more than just a picture of the South. It was a mystery and a deep look into Olivia's life and thoughts. It wasn't a page turner like many mysteries - instead it was a slow immersion into Olivia's thoughts and daily life. It was a fantastic book and I really enjoyed it.
Molinda (08/10/09)

Great story!
This story seems on the face to be one of cliches that we have seen too often recently--southern white girl who is close to black townsfolk in the segregated south battling entrenched racism in her town. But "Sweeping up Glass" draws you in from the first page. There is a mystery to be solved and its elucidation is where the story gains its momentum. Drama is created through character interaction and dialogue. Carolyn Wall is a master story teller. Read this book!

One Month Free Membership

Underground Airlines
    by Ben Winters

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place