Reader reviews and comments on You Are Here, plus links to write your own review.

You Are Here

Feb 2010, 304 pages

Kim Kovacs

There is 1 reader review for You Are Here

Peter Best (06/26/09)

Some good answers to the Big Questions!
As a physicist of old, this book is a revelation as it maneuvers so easily between many technical subjects - in fact it reminds me of Peter Watson's "A Terrible Beauty" - a favourite- in its breadth and fluidity. It is not a "popular science" book if you expect oversimplification; it does give many insights into the ways and perils of the "scientific method". The use of orders of magnitude to take you up and down the scales of space and time works well. The book has enough surprises and short anecdotes to entice a reader to keep going (and delving for themselves).

My one disappointment was that Christopher Potter looked fully at most aspects of "You are here" except the "You". I would have loved an extra chapter or two with him delving through recent areas such as "interpersonal neuropsychology" to look at what is involved in the creation of self and perception, both in childhood when we start wondering about the universe and in older age when we have the luxury of pondering our own fuzzy path through life.

But I am heartily recommending the book to friends who appreciate an enjoyable read and explorations in personal space-time.

• Book Jacket: Hag-Seed
    by Margaret Atwood
    There's a scene in The Tempest that many critics have concluded is indicative of Shakespeare&#...
  • Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.