MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Pearl in the Storm, plus links to write your own review.

How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean

by Tori Murden McClure

Apr 2009, 304 pages
    Apr 2010, 304 pages

Jo Perry

There are currently 20 reader reviews for A Pearl in the Storm

Roberta (04/20/09)

I wanted to like it...
... but it just wasn't happening. While the book is an easy read it certainly didn't inspire me. I felt the author continuously reminded the reader of her education, degrees and good deeds. The book was obviously written as a way for the author to purge her soul of demons but I really wasn't interested.
Jean (04/20/09)

A Pearl in the Storm, How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean
I rarely read non-fiction books, but am very glad that I read this one. It was difficult to put it down. (read it in 1 1/2 days) This is a great story, very well told. The author's mind, heart and spirit are impressive. The words in this story captured my imagination and I was caught up in the adventure. This would be a very good book for a book club discussion.
Gigi (04/20/09)

Life-transforming adventure
This is a life-transforming adventure for both author and reader. Tori Murden McClure has effectively woven her row across an ocean with her life experiences through life from early childhood. "A Pearl in the Storm" would captivate readers from ages 15 to 150 both intellectually and emotionally. It is much more than entertaining; it is engaging, and the memories will linger.
Mary Ellen (04/20/09)

A Pearl in the Storm - Lessons in Life
The author's memoir of her trip in a rowboat across the Atlantic is a vivid stream-of-conscious that gives insight into her mental and physical state. At the same time, she reveals what in her life brought her to this point. People who enjoy adventure stories will get a vicarious thrill from this book. I enjoyed her honesty about herself and the way she was able to gain insight into what is really important in life as a result of the challenges she set for herself.
Karen (04/20/09)

A Pearl in the Storm
This book is definitely a rare pearl! Extremely readable and enjoyable. I would recommend it for everyone; teens, book clubs, and anyone who likes to read. It is inspirational and forceful. I usually read fiction, but found this much more compelling than anything I have read lately. Tori's story is amazing - as is she! I am recommending it to all my friends. As a additional bonus, I found out more about rowing and small craft ocean travel than I ever would have researched on my own.

Definitely a must read!
Molly (04/20/09)

Extremism
This is a great book for people who like to read about extremes. I do – I’d never do what Ms McClure did, or climb Mt. Everest, but I enjoy the vicarious pleasure. This is an adventure story, not a great literary piece. If you can keep yourself from asking questions like, could anyone possibly be this self-deprecating and, could anyone possibly be this obtuse, you’ll like this story as much as I did. I tolerated the moral spoon feeding because I figured she had earned the right. While I’m shaking my head in disbelief, I admire her for what she did, and I got a kick out of reading about it.
Becky (04/19/09)

Inspirational
A Pearl in the Storm by Tori Murden Mcclure was indeed a story worthy of telling. This book challenged me, inspired me and moved me. I cried, laughed and couldn't put it down. I was gripped not only by what was happening at sea, but the poignant events of Tori's life as they replayed in intervals throughout the book. I literally couldn't put it down. It left me wanting just a little bit more. Hopefully there is more to come. Thanks for sharing such an incredible adventure. Bravo!
Vicky (04/19/09)

Eve: A Novel of the First Woman
I really enjoyed the book. I was skeptical at first. Just given the subject of the book would make you think you pretty much knew everything about Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden. Well, reading this book made me rethink that assumption. Even though it is fiction, it really made Eve more of a normal woman rather than the woman who made Adam sin. She had real doubts and wants and needs and insecurities. Just like the rest of us. Adam also came alive for me. He was just a normal guy going about life the best he knew how. Elissa made the characters come alive in a way that you have to remind yourself that parts of the story are indeed fiction. It was a very enjoyable book. I would recommend it to anyone who likes really good novels.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun