Reader reviews and comments on The Man Who Listens to Horses, plus links to write your own review.

The Man Who Listens to Horses

by Monty Roberts

The Man Who Listens to Horses

Aug 1997, 310 pages
    Dec 1998, 255 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The Man Who Listens to Horses

Sarah (11/06/08)

I LOVED this book! It is my favorite book ever now. I really admire Monty on how he was so determined to do things HIS way, no matter what anyone else said.
Shy Boy is his second book, another favorite of mine now. Monty Roberts is a true inspiration and saviour to many horses and horse people, and it was a truly great read.
Redneck Yahoo (07/08/07)

Mostly Fiction
It seems that many of Monty Roberts' claims about his experiences are flights of fancy. See the following sources for more information:

The book 'Horse Whispers & Lies' online at; the Feb. 1999 issue of Horse & Rider magazine's article, 'Horse Whispers or Horse Feathers?'; San Francisco Examiner Article: 'BIOGRAPHY CALLED UNBRIDLED FICTION' January 11, 1997; "Horse of a Different Color" by John Skow & James Willwerth, Time Magazine Dec. 14, 1998; "Now! Read the True (More or Less) Story!" Tuesday, February 24, 1998 The New York Times; and "A Peddler of Court Gossip May Pay the Piper" by Jonathon Turley.

In Monty's autobiography, he of his horse Dually, "Dually was a cull from the Greg Ward Ranch, a throw-away horse whom no one would buy."

I looked up Dually's AQHA show and ownership records:

AQHA ownership records show as dates of sale:
It should be noted that Greg Ward (deceased) is known as one of the greatest Reined Cowhorse trainers of all time.

AQHA performance records for Dually show:
NATIONAL CUTTING HORSE ASSOCIATION $ 6,295.51 Earned thru 01/01/1994
NATIONAL REINED COW HORSE ASSOCIATION $ 5,404.18 Earned thru 11/02/1995
Apparently, this unwanted, undesirable horse had earned over $6000 before acquired by Monty.

Dually was a product not only of Greg Ward's training but also of his breeding program that has produced many world class money earners in NCHA, NRHA, NRCHA, and AQHA, descended from Greg Ward's great mare Fillinic.

Greg's taming and training of the hypersensitive Fillinic has become legendary.

What is indisputable, however, is that Roberts is a talented horseman who has helped many people with their horse handling problems.
horse person (09/30/05)

'Good read' is unfortunately more FICTION than fact
Monty Roberts is known to be a very competent horse trainer.

Unfortunately, it seems that many of his more grandiose claims and allegations in this 'autobiography' may be fabrications.

Horse & Rider magazine (Feb. 1999) and Time magazine and the San Francisco Examiner, and a book by his aunt and cousin (Horse Whispers & Lies) all offer opposing views with regard to Monty Roberts's autobiography.

Most important to note is that Monty Roberts's father, Marvin Roberts, was actually a very kind and humane man, and that rather than having been battered, it appears possible that Monty Roberts may have been spoiled and indulged.

Nowadays, in addition to giving round penning demonstrations and selling videos and halters, Monty Roberts is also globe-trotting as a motivational speaker and a child education expert.

It seems that the questions regarding his truthfulness have not been an obstacle to fame and fortune.

Look up a copy of Horse Whispers & Lies and have a librarian help you find the articles mentioned above and decide for yourself if you think Monty Roberts has led a life that is unquestioning worthy of emulation.
emi (01/18/05)

i love monety. his ideas make sense. and they work- you can see results.
Smartybeth (04/22/04)

I am a 16 year old horse enthusiast. I train horses using Monty's methods and would never change them. This book explains how he got were he is today and how he developed his mehtods that are now famous the world over. I recieved this book as a birthday present and have since read it and then came back and used it as a refernce tool. It never gets old. It is one of the books i can actually say that i have read it then picked it up the very next day and reread it. It is a very easy to follow book. I recommend this book to everyone.
Li (03/29/04)

This was a very helpful book in helping me gain more knowledge about horses phycology. Roberts has spent alot of time with these horses, and it has shown to be at his advantage. I am glad that new methods have arisen to train todays horses, so they would not have to deal with yesterdays methods
~Thank you Monty Roberts!
** Li **
allie 13 (10/09/03)

this is a great book for a horse lover
Hannah Tidwell (05/18/03)

Im hunting ideas to train a colt im about to get and I believe that his books can help me.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.