MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Help, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathryn Stockett

Feb 2009, 464 pages
    Apr 2011, 528 pages

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 53 reader reviews for The Help

Renae (04/12/09)

The Help
I read this book and I SOBBED. I haven't cried so hard since I watched Dancing with Wolves. So much to think about!! I will be thinking about this book for a very long time. I am "White". I am looking forward to hearing from my African-American friends their perspective. I hope some of them read the book. This would be a very good book to use as a basis for discussions of race & racism consisting of a mixed group of people----Black & White--young & old--from the South & not from the South. I'm sure my reaction probably would differ from my friends. And I'm sure I would have a WHOLE different view of things afterward--with MORE things to think about.
BT (04/05/09)

A PERFECT Audio Book
I'd like to do a quick shout-out for the AUDIO version of this fantastic book. It is one of the best I have ever listened to, EVER. The actors do a masterful job juggling the variety of accents and emotions, bringing the characters vividly alive with every word. I'm a Southerner, too, and a badly done Southern accent is like nails on a chalkboard, but you won't find any of that in this recording. I've heard these womens' voices every day of my life and the actors nail it every single time. Kudos to the author for a book that will be on my lifetime Top 10 list, and to the actors who perform the audio version so beautifully. Thank you all!
Lynn (03/21/09)

Exceptional Novel
I slowed down reading The Help halfway through so the characters in this exceptional first novel would stay with me longer. The author includes a quote from Howell Raines's article "Grady's Gift" I want to highlight here in the hopes it entices more people to BUY THIS BOOK:
"There is no trickier subject for a writer from the South than that of affection between a black person and a white one in the unequal world of segregation. For the dishonesty upon which a society is founded makes every emotion suspect, makes it impossible to know whether what flowed between two people was honest feeling or pity or pragmatism." Kathryn Stockett delivers the world of the South in the 60's with unerring true voice. I am glad beyond measure she wrote this book!
mainlinebooker (03/08/09)

A real gem
I loved the characters,the stories, and how this white woman was able to create voices that felt so real in terms of my own experience. I never wanted this to end.
Jane (03/01/09)

The Help
It's been a long time since I sat down and read a book cover to cover, putting everything else in the world aside. This is one of those books.

If you are a fan of Southern writing I think you will find this book reminiscent of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Maybe not in the caliber of writing I think this is a first time author but certainly in the message imparted.

The characters were fully developed, the story line superb .... I HIGHLY recommend you read this book. Just don't plan to do anything else for a full day and night!

Medgar Evers

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T