Reader reviews and comments on The Help, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathryn Stockett

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 53 reader reviews for The Help

Renae (04/12/09)

The Help
I read this book and I SOBBED. I haven't cried so hard since I watched Dancing with Wolves. So much to think about!! I will be thinking about this book for a very long time. I am "White". I am looking forward to hearing from my African-American friends their perspective. I hope some of them read the book. This would be a very good book to use as a basis for discussions of race & racism consisting of a mixed group of people----Black & White--young & old--from the South & not from the South. I'm sure my reaction probably would differ from my friends. And I'm sure I would have a WHOLE different view of things afterward--with MORE things to think about.
BT (04/05/09)

A PERFECT Audio Book
I'd like to do a quick shout-out for the AUDIO version of this fantastic book. It is one of the best I have ever listened to, EVER. The actors do a masterful job juggling the variety of accents and emotions, bringing the characters vividly alive with every word. I'm a Southerner, too, and a badly done Southern accent is like nails on a chalkboard, but you won't find any of that in this recording. I've heard these womens' voices every day of my life and the actors nail it every single time. Kudos to the author for a book that will be on my lifetime Top 10 list, and to the actors who perform the audio version so beautifully. Thank you all!
Lynn (03/21/09)

Exceptional Novel
I slowed down reading The Help halfway through so the characters in this exceptional first novel would stay with me longer. The author includes a quote from Howell Raines's article "Grady's Gift" I want to highlight here in the hopes it entices more people to BUY THIS BOOK:
"There is no trickier subject for a writer from the South than that of affection between a black person and a white one in the unequal world of segregation. For the dishonesty upon which a society is founded makes every emotion suspect, makes it impossible to know whether what flowed between two people was honest feeling or pity or pragmatism." Kathryn Stockett delivers the world of the South in the 60's with unerring true voice. I am glad beyond measure she wrote this book!
mainlinebooker (03/08/09)

A real gem
I loved the characters,the stories, and how this white woman was able to create voices that felt so real in terms of my own experience. I never wanted this to end.
Jane (03/01/09)

The Help
It's been a long time since I sat down and read a book cover to cover, putting everything else in the world aside. This is one of those books.

If you are a fan of Southern writing I think you will find this book reminiscent of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Maybe not in the caliber of writing I think this is a first time author but certainly in the message imparted.

The characters were fully developed, the story line superb .... I HIGHLY recommend you read this book. Just don't plan to do anything else for a full day and night!

Medgar Evers

The Last Ballad
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins
  • Book Jacket: We Own the Sky
    We Own the Sky
    by Luke Allnutt
    Rob and Anna Coates have an idyllic life together; they have successful careers, love each other ...
  • Book Jacket: Some Trick
    Some Trick
    by Helen DeWitt
    In this erudite collection of 13 stories, Helen DeWitt explores the theme of stymied creativity, ...

Salt Houses by Hala Alyan

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Rules of Magic

Win up to 12 copies for you & your book club!

The spellbinding prequel to Alice Hoffman's bestselling Practical Magic.

M T G Before I S