MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Help, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathryn Stockett

Feb 2009, 464 pages
    Apr 2011, 528 pages

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 53 reader reviews for The Help

Barb C. (01/12/10)

Best Book I have ever read!
Without a doubt the best book I have ever read (and I read a lot). I loved it so much I gave 15 copies as Christmas gifts this year. One of my friends that received it said she was mad at me for giving it to her. When I asked why she said "I did not accomplish one thing for the 2.5 days it took me to read The Help."

I actually shed tears when I finished The Help, not because it was sad, but because there was no more of it to read.
Nancy Gould Chuda (01/10/10)

Boundaries
Is the human condition for compassion blinded by the color of skin? The Help is an awakening for anyone who has ever cast fear or doubt that humanity can and does triumph from truth. Set in the south as told by a white author, Kathyrn Stockett weaves the lives of three unique characters into a tapestry of unforgettable reality. Rosa Parks crossed the line to define a new historical boundary for blacks in America and Stockett's The Help confirms why.
S.Newman (01/10/10)

The Help
My sister left this book behind for me to read after celebrating the holidays together. She said I would not be able to put it down. She is a English teacher so if she says something like that, you know it will be good. Well, it is more than good, it is excellent! She was right that I wouldn't be able to put it down. I couldn't believe it was Kathryn Stockett's first novel! A couple points in the book I felt I was right there, my heart would be racing along with the characters. It is that good! I look forward to reading more by Ms. Stockett.
Lynn (11/21/09)

The Help
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Along with some real 60's American history, it is funny, sad and eye opening. All the characters are realistic, colorful and I would love to have met them and talked. Because of Kathryn Stocketts personal history, she had good first hand knowledge of the South in the 60's. The book reads very easy and I hope another is coming soon.
Power Reviewer PDXReader (10/18/09)

Perfect historical fiction!
What an amazing book. It should be required reading for everyone too young to remember the racial injustice and turmoil of the 1960s. In addition to simply having something important to say, The Help is exceptionally well-written. All the characters are three-dimensional, even the minor ones, and everything about it feels agonizingly real. My only complaint is that it ended too soon; I wasn’t ready to leave the marvelous women at this book’s core.
Power Reviewer Lynn (10/12/09)

I loved this book
For years I have been looking for a book that would make me feel the same emotions as I felt when I read "To Kill and Mockingbird", and this book is definitely it. I laughed, I cried, I felt deep concern for the characters, I could not put it down until it was finished. I grew up in the South without a maid, but was aware of them through friends and other family members. To say I fell in love with Skeeter, Abilene and Minny does not seem to describe how much I wanted to share time with them during the book. Unlike Harper Lee, I hope Kathryn Stockett will continue to write more and more stories. I can't wait to read the next thing she puts out. Great job, Kathryn!!
Maggie Stewart (07/27/09)

The Help
It is certainly a page-turner. I have to say, when it was all over I was disappointed with the way it portrayed the south in the 60's. I know there were (and still are) many who mistreat folks based on the color of their skin or religion. However, I grew up in a small southern town in the sixties. Yes, we had a "maid". However, I can say I never knew any of my friends or family to be so horribly cruel to anyone, black or white. Of course, it did happen. It just seemed sad to me that there were not more true heroines to bring forth justice..other than Skeeter.
Valerie (07/16/09)

Fantastic Book!!
This is the best book I have read this year, and I read a lot!! It has a perfect mix of humor and drama to keep me just waiting for my next chance to pick it up. And, it was fun imagining how people I know now would have fit into that time period and culture. Which side would they have been on?

Overall, it was extremely entertaining, and enlightening as to life in the south during the early civil rights movement.

Medgar Evers

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q