Reader reviews and comments on The Help, plus links to write your own review.

by Kathryn Stockett

Feb 2009, 464 pages
    Apr 2011, 528 pages

Sarah Sacha Dollacker

There are currently 53 reader reviews for The Help

Abby (05/31/11)

Great Read
This was one of the best novels I have read in a long long time... Thank you Kathryn Stockett for giving it to us to read. Looking forward to the movie. How lucky we are to have someone to open our eyes to the way things were in 1960.
Stacey (05/30/11)

Disappointed on the ending
The book is well-written and I throughly enjoyed the characters. It was a long book which I don't mind since it was very enjoyable. The last few chapters I was getting concerned since I knew the ending was soon and I did not read any situations coming up that would develop a good ending. The ending was very disappointing in that it was too easy and actually I believe it was allowing the author to do a sequel to this novel. I don't appreciate that possibility due to my time reading this novel. The ending just seemed like a hurried effort and it certainly was not very original to the story.
Angela (04/24/11)

The Help
The book was a good read. It was an eye opener and yet it was like a journey into the lives of each character. I was a bit disappointed with the end of the book. It seemed such a sad and abrupt end. I am looking forward to seeing the movie and hope the end will have more of a closure than the book.
Hayden (04/17/11)

Excellent!
I LOVED this novel! From the moment I picked it up I couldn't put it down. It was suspenseful and felt so real. Thank you Kathryn Stockett!
violet (02/13/11)

Disappointed
I found this book to be, basically, uninteresting. The characters, especially the white ones, were one-dimensional, the relationships not believable, the writing so so, and the plot fairly nonexistent. However, for those who have not thought much about racial inequality in the south, I suppose the book is somewhat enlightening. I agree with a previous reviewer who stated that the book reads like a Nora Roberts soap opera.
Cookie (01/30/11)

The Help
The Help was a good book. The end was slow and disappointing. Seemed rushed.
M. Smith (11/19/10)

THE HELP
I read 3 to 5 books a month (age 64) and THE HELP is now in my top three books of all time. I happened to listen to the book on an audio recording and it was fantastic! The authenticity of the character's dialects really added to the deep emotions of the various women. This time period is a match to my age but having grown up in San Diego was not exposed to such prejudice. It has certainly helped me to continue to grow in becoming a more compassionate person toward all humans. I would LOVE to see this made into a movie!
Shannon (11/06/10)

Entertaining
I agree with some of you as far as a few of the language inconsistencies go, however a few can be explained by simply rereading the parts of the book you couldn't make sense of the first time. Exa: It would be weird that the two year old Mae Mobley was potty trained before complete sentences, if it wasn't also noted that her mother refused to spend much time or hands on with her daughter- including with the potty training, and physically showing Mae how to get the job done, therefor, Mae was probably past being ready, and behind with her training until finally being shown by her maid, who it says, had mentioned that Mae's mother refused to do so herself.
I also flipped past a few sections that seemed to drag, but all in all, I think most will find it an enjoyable read, though I do wish the author had included more of an ending.

Medgar Evers

My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review