Reader reviews and comments on The Lost City of Z, plus links to write your own review.

The Lost City of Z

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for The Lost City of Z

warren

Lost City of Z Disappoints
I really wanted to like this book and, after the first few chapters, was really getting into it. The book turned out to be primarily about the wanderings of Col. Fawcett in the Amazon, and very little about the lost city. There are a few debates about whether or not the Amazon can support large populations, but that's about it. At the end the author invests a few pages in what "could" have been the lost city, and then....that's it. Book over. I didn't even get much of a sense that Fawcett really conceived the idea of a lost city and then developed an "obsession" to find it.

I bought the book after listening to Mr. Grann do a talk show. I feel I must have bought the wrong book.

There were no maps, except for inside the covers. There was a lack of detail in many areas, such as, if the expedition is well into Amazonia, and are totally spent and half-dead from starvation and disease, how did they get out in order that they undertake the next expedition? Just way too many loose ends for me. Sadly, this is a case where the movie should have no trouble being better than the book.

There is one silver lining I found in this book. After reading the exceptional descriptions of all the things that can kill you in the Amazon basin, I will NEVER visit a place that has an indigenous creature like the candiru.

• Book Jacket: Daisy Jones & The Six
    Daisy Jones & The Six
    by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    In this evocative novel written in the format of an interview with members of a fictional music ...
  • Book Jacket: The Age of Living Machines
    The Age of Living Machines
    by Susan Hockfield
    In the face of looming global challenges, such as overpopulation, resource depletion and disease, Dr...
    The Mars Room
    by Rachel Kushner
    There is palpable tension between expectation and reality in Rachel Kushner's third novel. The ...
  • Book Jacket: The Guest Book
    The Guest Book
    by Sarah Blake
    Sarah Blake's critically-acclaimed third novel The Guest Book was a hit with our First Impressions ...

Travelers
    by Helon Habila

A startlingly exploration of the African diaspora in Europe, by an acclaimed international writer.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly