Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 265 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Laura (02/16/12)

A Life-Changing Read
I purchased this book many years ago at a garage sale and let it sit on my shelf, knowing that one day I would have to face it and read it. I feared that day because I knew what was in store... but I felt it was something I had to do. Just the other day, I picked it up and read it all within a few short hours. I could not put it down; the pages just flew by. I found myself moved to tears several times and just marvel at the intensity of his experience... it will make you feel more human than you may have ever felt, as well as open your eyes to the beauty of life and how thankful you might be for what you have. I know that is the case with me. Now, I'm aching to read his other books to continue learning more about his life after these unspeakable experiences. An awesome tale of the bravest boy ever.
Arianna Dante (01/28/12)

Not a factual story!
This is NOT an autobiography. The author made the entire story up! Remember when it was on Oprah's list of novels to read; she praised the book and the "man" who endured this abuse. However, it was not a man but a CHARACTER. The entire story is fictional!

Editor's Note: Although there has been some debate the truth of this book, it is is generally held that the book is largely factual. Some newspapers have questioned this; however the author continues to claim it to be true, and has been supported in this by his brother and former schoolteacher.
Pray Jones (01/11/12)

What a Book!
I love this book! its number one on my list. The fact that somone would actually put there child through this type of abuse really puts me to total pain.
Im really glad that he overcame it and was able to tell people about it!
bubbles (01/10/12)

a child called it
This book is a really amazing book. It's also upsetting how he got abused by his own mother :/
libby adams (01/08/12)

this book was fantastic! 3
I can not believe that you survived through all of that brutal beatings.. I am just glad that you did! All of your books are so fantastic.. I am going to read all of them! :)
sporty (01/03/12)

amazing story
I just cant believe you survived through all of this. I would have given up. But no, David never gave up. He pushed his way through his miserable life. His mom didn't know what to do after her husband left so she became an alcoholic and beat her kids. This book is AMAZING!
Shanaya (12/22/11)

AWSOME
This book is a sad true story about a boy who is trying to survive his mothers harmful games. I usually never finish books but for the first time this book carried me in to reading the whole thing. I recommend people to read this book to show how child abusing is. This is a book that I would read over and over again.
Amy (12/21/11)

Awesome
I loved the book when I picked it up i couldn't put it down, a story about a boy being abused :( But it's the best book I EVER read in my life

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All