Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

One Child's Courage to Survive

by Dave Pelzer

Oct 1999, 184 pages
    Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 266 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Shaquana Ambroise (04/06/10)

A Child Called It
I am 17 and I read A Child Called It for my Psychology class. My mom had already read the book and told me how sad it was so I had thought I was prepared. Truth is nothing can prepare you for the happenings in this book. It's astounding to think that these things actually happened. I have the utmost respect for Dave Pelzer for getting through this and having the courage to put his story out there.
airhead (03/09/10)

as read
I'm 13 and I read this book and afterwards I felt guilty, and glad because I'm feeling guilty because how bad he had it and how good I have it and I am glad because I have the best life I could imagine and he didn't have that.. Dave go on writing more books..
Taylor (03/05/10)

child abuse
I think that child abuse can come to killing a child and that child abuse is more than bruises and broken bones. Abuse is one type of child abuse. Kids all over the world is getting abused by other people and family.
Christelle Bastien (02/28/10)

A Child Called It
I think this story is a great story and a sad story because Dave Pelzer is beaten and starved by his mother who is an alcoholic. She played dangerous games with her son and he had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive. Also, I think this is not fair because no one should be treated like a slave by their very own mother. His mother also made him sleep in the basement on an old army cot and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When he grew up, he became a leader, not an alcoholic like his mother otherwise, but he learned not to make the same mistakes that his mother made when he was a child.
Nelly (02/16/10)

Truth
I don't often read books about child abuse, until my older brother suggested I read this book. And now that I have read it, it made me realize how fortunate some of us are. Yet, we take it for granted. This book took my emotions to a whole new level. It was very detailed out to put the reader in his position, and the way felt. I know this wasn't the easiest thing to write for him, but I would like to thank him. I guess you can say he is right, No matter what you mother does or say, she'll always be your mom. And you love her no matter what happens.
Ry&n Sp&ngler (02/12/10)

Through a journey of heartache, God will be there.
I'm taking a high school class called Parenting and Child Development and we are studying the horrors of child abuse. Ever since my teacher first assigned me this book about two days ago, I can not put it down. This is a heart felt book that displays the horrors of child abuse and the internal and external affect that child abuse can have on a child or anyone of age. For Dave P. the author of this wonderful book he lived this life. I'm on the fourth chapter, (the longest chapter)!!! I love how Dave brings God into the picture, in "Lords Prayer", that I have not got to yet. Daves brothers wanted to help him but his mother was to controlling and they did not want to get it from mother to. When it was said in chapter three "Bad Boy", that brother and I played at school like best friends but at home I could not be acknowledged, that really got to me. In chapter two, "Good Times", I really liked to hear the tone change and I could imagine in my head how they played together and how they had pinics and the good times they shared. So, know I got ot go finish the book and write a report on it, see yah!!!
zoie (01/27/10)

a child called it
This book was very good. It is about a child who is abused and tortured by his cruel mother. It brings tears to your eyes and touches your heart.
Gabbey (01/26/10)

Couldn't stop reading
When i first started this book I just couldn't put it down. It was so sad but so interesting I just had to read more, this book brought to my attention a very serious issue in this world.... abuse. It tells the heartbreaking story of a abused man who's life turned out pretty good. I LOVED it.

One Month Free Membership

by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
    by Bryn Greenwood

A memorable coming-of-age tale about loyalty, defiance, and the power of love.

This Must Be the Place