Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Named Dave

A Story of Triumph and Foregiveness

by Dave Pelzer

A Man Named Dave

Oct 1999, 284 pages
    Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

tina mahoney (10/10/04)

After reading 'A child called It' what struck me most was the great contrast in sections. He describes things such as nature and smells with such idealism and accuracy. Then there are the sections where he describes the torturous life he led as a child with unflinching honesty. I believe his romantic take on things in certain parts of the book stem from how someone who was deprived of them for so long sees them. I do not believe this book has 'embelished' anything. It has shown that in the most desolate of exsistences there is opportunity for positivity to grow. It has highlighted the most fundamental things that children need. It cerainly opened my eyes, made me cry and made me believe in the human spirit. This book is educating, real and full of love.
Briana (10/07/04)

I read A Man Named Dave for a book report at school. I hate to read, but I have read every book that Dave Pelzer has written. To read about all that he has gone through has made me realize how lucky most of us are, but there are some people who are going throught the same situation which makes me realize how easily someone could get away with child abuse. Dave Pelzer has accomplished many aspects even after going through so much in his life and I believe that anyone can turn their life around if they really tried hard enough.
Karen (09/26/04)

It's truly amazing how fear can make us stronger people. I cringed as I read the words of this child.I was angered by his pain and brought to tears by the weakness of the family. Thank-you Dave for opening eyes.
brianna (09/26/04)

I'm only 13 and i thought the book was the best! His experience was very sad, but amazing in how he was so determined to survive. I hope other people realize no matter what they've been through or are going through they can make it through as Dave Pelzer made it through his childhood.
kim (09/09/04)

I dont usually read much but I just couldn't put this book down! It's extremely inspirational and makes you realise how lucky you are! My heart and admiration goes out to Dave. He must be an exceptional man.
Carebear (08/30/04)

I couldn't put the book down. I found that Dave's books have helped me tremendously. I myself have come from an abusive childhood with a mother that made me feel all my life that she did not love me, want me. As I read the books, I kept thinking if Dave and I are related as we were abused in almost the same exact way by our parents. I didn't go through exactly what Dave went through in a child called it, however, my home life wasn't any better. I also didn't know that abuse was a cycle that was passed down to our own children as I came from a time just like Dave where you do not talk about child abuse outside your home. "What happen's in your home, stay's in your home".

Abuse was passed on to me and once my ex-husband whom I loved with all my heart left me and my son, I became totally depressed and started to abuse my son like my mom, brother and older sister had abused me. Once I was put on the miracle pill of antidepressants, my life changed for the best. I can now say that after reading Dave's books, I can admit to having abused my son as well as as help him heal from my abuse.

I can now break the cycle I did not know existed until I read these books. These books have made a huge difference in my life because, I can now start to heal and forgive as well as be forgiven by my son. My mom has since pasted away and never once did she ask for my forgiveness for what she did to me only because she believed she never abused me or any of my sister's or brother. How sad!

I am so blessed that God has put my son David into my life as I do cherish him with all my heart and soul. I am very blessed that I was able to read Dave's books and get a grip on what happened to me and start the healing process for both myself and my son.

Thank you so much!!!!

alyson (08/27/04)

I loved the book The Child Called It. I never could understand why a mother would do such horrble things to you and she could get away with it because tecahers oe neighbors wouldn't help. I cried a few times while reading this book because it made sick to my stomach knowing that she could even be called a mother after doing such things like making you smell dirty diapers and not feeding you. i wanted to jump in the book in a way and give you a hug and to say it's okay and that it's not your fault and of course IT's Not Your Fault. Just remember Your mother was the problem not you, you never asked to be treated that way. Glad to hear that your doing a lot better and are finally a happy guy, good for you.
Amber (08/09/04)

i rally like this book and the other one's you have wrote tooo how can you make it look like it is in real life and i has really happen to someone i fell real sorry about what happen to him.... so that what i think about it....

In the Country of Men
    Coffin Road
    by Peter May

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P