Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Story of Triumph and Foregiveness

by Dave Pelzer

Oct 1999, 284 pages
    Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

Laura (12/02/08)

A Man Named Dave
A Man Named Dave is a really good and inspiring book, I think its the best book in the world because its a true sad story, although I have never been abused I know how Dave felt. I think everyone should read books by Dave Pelzer so they can understand that abusing kids is wrong.
geoff smith (01/18/08)

sad but inspiring
It's a sad but a an inspiring because he tells a real story and has a good point a good lesson. I think that everybody should read and learn that child abuse is wrong.
I read this and I am 10 and I understand his point. I am not abused but I can see why he did what he did when you feel you are powerless you are told you are nothing you would feel the way he did.
sally (12/15/07)

sad but very good
This is a very good book, I cried a lot because it was so sad. For some reason I couldn't stop reading it! I am really sorry, seeing this is a true story. I'm glad I wasn't raised like that.
deyannah (09/26/07)

the most inspiring
Dave Pelzer really did it great for himself. When I was down my teacher gave me this book to read and I cried for him, but it made me feel like I could get it together and do better for myself. she gave me "a child called it" to read but the others I'm working on. now I'm in school and writing a report on my favorite author and you've won the title! thank you for writing these books. god bless you!
*deyannah
yo yo yo (05/01/07)

hay hay hay
Dude this book was totally awesome!
I loved reading every minute of it
Ashley Mckinsey (04/20/07)

The sadness
The book a man named Dave is a touching book. It kind of reminds me of my dad. When I was little I always thought me and my dad were going to live together for a long time ,but when I said that he had got in a car accident. I wouldn't stop crying I would sit in my room by myself and then I would blame myself. My mom would beat me to hide her pain. I'm never going to forget that.
Caitlin Chaos (03/20/07)

A man named Dave
A man named Dave was very inspirational, the book taught me to NEVER give up and always reach for my dreams. This is one of my favorites out of the other novels Dave Pelzer has written. He is my true hero, and always will be.
Nazifa Azizi (02/27/07)

A Man Named Dave Review
Nazifa Azizi

“A Man Named Dave”
David Pelzer
“A Man Named Dave,” a true story, is a phenomenal book concluding a lifelong journey of a courageous man. One could wonder how a person can manage normally after having such a horrific start at life, as written in David Pelzer’s first book, “A Child Called It.” After having years of abuse and living a nightmare, Dave still goes through many obstacles. Joining the air force, which was evidently his life long dream in “The Lost Boy,” was not the solution to his life’s problems.
It is said that good people are always taken advantage of, and this is true when Pelzer met the mother of his child, Patsy. What seemed like a woman who had similar struggles like his and a bright future marriage with him turned out to be a disaster with constant fights about money and trust.
David’s son, Stephen, is the only light in his life. Looking at Stephen, David wonders how anyone could mistreat their child in any way. He makes sure his son will not go through the horrors that he had to go through, and makes sure that others who were like him get the comfort that he lacked as a child. David does this by becoming a motivational speaker and working a straining schedule with work, speeches, being a father, a under satisfying husband, and visiting his mother to get the answer he always craved his whole life.
In this book, Pelzer is having an internal conflict as well as multiple external conflicts. He can’t find himself to trust anyone; but this all changes when he meets the one woman he truly loves and trusts, Marsha, who he has come to learn from and also teach many things to.
In “A Man Named Dave,” Pelzer demonstrates determination in way never shown before. Through what seems like a never-ending struggle, his dedication to himself made him succeed in multiple fields like joining the air force, winning multiple awards, and making differences in countless lives, including those just like his. Pelzer is living proof that success and happiness can be obtained even after living the worst conditions as a child, teenager, and adult. I recommend this remarkable book to everyone, but I also recommend reading “A Child Called It” and “The Lost Boy” first.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Beware the man of one book

The Big Holiday Wordplay: