Reader reviews and comments on A Man Named Dave, plus links to write your own review.

A Man Named Dave

A Story of Triumph and Foregiveness

by Dave Pelzer

A Man Named Dave

Oct 1999, 284 pages
    Sep 2000, 304 pages

There are currently 282 reader reviews for A Man Named Dave

Rafael Orozco (08/27/03)

although, my childhood life wasn't as horiffic as his, but i understand about the isolation,hunger, and the incredible way it affected myself image. i relived memories and feelings that i had refused to remember. Ifeel so much better about myself. All my questions have not been answered, but I hope some of them will be. I salute you dave! what courage and resolve on your part. you and I joined the service the same year (feb 78) and for some of the same reasons. thank you ! very,very inspiring. God bless you!

Leticia (08/18/03)

I never knew that child abuse was so bad but after reading these books they broght me to terms with just how bad it is these days. I was so intregued with these books that I am doin my Negotiated Area of Stuy on them at school. I was glad that Dave got his life back on track after a miserable life.
alethea (08/16/03)

i loved a child called it and all of his books even though im only 14 yrs old.
Angie (07/21/03)

I just finished reading "A Man Named Dave". This was a very moving book. When I first began reading it, I felt sorry for him but, by the end, I admired and envyed him. He went through so much in his life, but never gave up. And always looked for the best in people and believed in him. I honestly do not know how he got through all of his misfortunes and kept plugging along to become who he is today. The part of the book when he had the talk with his son made me cry. This is a great book and really makes you put your own life into perspective. Congratulations and God Bless You Dave!
Meïr (07/09/03)

My sincere admiration goes out to this man. It is not evident to be able not only to survive a life that was worse than hell, but even to become an U.S. Air Force pilot , get a G.E.D., shortly said, to be an honoured and respected person is an achievement that not many people with a normal, happy background reach, let alone someone who was abused an tortured in every possible and impossible way and made to understand that he is even less than the lowliest filth and normally only destined to belong to the lowest of the lowest on earth. Mr. Pelzer, you deserve every possible admiration and respect, and keep up the excellent work you are doing!!
Maggie Bilsky (07/08/03)

I was very taken by all of Dave Pelzer's books. I cried through just about every page. He courage and forgiveness to his family was over- welming to me. I to went through child abuse as a child and still to this day cannot forgive my abuser and it wasn't anything what Dave went through. Dave has so much heart and such a good soul that he could servive anything that life gives him. My heart goes out to you Dave. I wish I had your courage. Everyone should read these books, it will make us all look and think twice about what we think having a bad day really is.

Diona (06/30/03)

This was probably one of the most powerfull, informative, and dramatic books that I have been able to read. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good cry. The pain and abuse this child has to suffer is unexplainable and will leave you breathless and only hoping for more. I personally could not take my eyes from tis book. It really makes you think about what kind of people are living in this world. I highly recommend it and god bless you Dave you are one strong man.
christina (06/11/03)

Im 17 years old and i read all three of his book in a week. I love readind his books. I recammed his books to or school to read in english class. I fell in love with his story. It felt like i was there with him and i felt his hirt and cried when he was in the pain and felt so happy when he got out of it. I love these books thank you.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.