Reader reviews and comments on The Good Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Hannah Tinti

Aug 2008, 336 pages
    Aug 2009, 352 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Good Thief

Roberta (07/31/08)

Formulaic and Predictable Ending
Hannah Tinti has a wonderfully descriptive writing style. She gets her point across without excess and gives you a feel for her main character's thought processes. However, I felt that near the end the storyline simply was too predictable with a pat ending. I definitely enjoyed the book for the most part because her characters were interesting, but I was disappointed because the author seemed to run out of options for her storyline and simply chose the easy and predictable way out. This was a book that at points I didn't want to put down, but at others I could have simply walked away from it because I could tell what was coming.
Vicky (07/31/08)

The characters here are interesting but I never truly connected with any of them. The story includes the requisite "bad guy" whom I must admit transcends your normal criminal as he possesses no conscience at all. The main character is noteworthy and the other players are certainly the products of the authors creative imagination; however, though the book pulls you along toward a sense of compassion, it was hard for me to care about any of the characters. I don't feel I wasted my time reading this novel, it just isn't one of my favorites.
Erika (07/31/08)

The Good Thief
Warm, sensitive, multi-layered characters. Human & real but the plot drags.
Barbara (07/31/08)

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
This story didn’t live up to its press. The blurbs on the cover, even the description here on BookBrowse, were all better than the reality. The characters didn’t seem plausible, the story wound up too tidily to be believable. There were elements that seemed tossed in and didn’t seem to serve any real purpose. Without giving away the plot, there was a character towards the end who was particularly unbelievable. He was demanding answers from a child who had absolutely no way to know the answers. Demanding, as in threatening to kill the child if he didn’t give the answer. Perhaps that was meant to show the man was mentally ill but it just came off as if the writer didn’t have another way to get the story along.

I’m sorry to say that The Good Thief is a book that I neither liked nor disliked. It was just okay.
Power Reviewer Nikki (07/31/08)

Two thumbs up!
If you want to remember how it was to pick up a book and read for the sheer pleasure of reading, then read this book! So many novels try to incorporate heavy-handed political agendas or eco-views into the plotline and the story gets bogged down. It was so refreshing to read a great story without all of the "underlying messages". I thoroughly enjoyed The Good Thief and I think you will too!
Power Reviewer Cam (07/31/08)

The Good Thief
Oh, wow, The Good Thief is one good book!

Written somewhat in the manner of a Charles Dickens, Tinti writes beautifully with characters, Ren in particular, who wend their way into your hearts.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a really good read!
Michelle (07/31/08)

I was thrilled to find this book took me back to the fairy tales & Grimms Brothers tales of my youth. The characters were wonderful & the tale kept you hooked & waiting to see what happened next! It is fun & easy with all the right light & shadows you need for a story that takes you back in time!
Randi (07/31/08)

Harrowing adventure, great fun!
What a fun read!

After leaving the orphanage, Ren's life is jam-packed with adventures. Hannah Tinti is adept at continuously throwing perils and quandaries and surprises Ren's (and the lucky reader's) way, without getting ridiculous. Her characters are all interesting, whether diabolical or endearing. This story has been compared to Dickens-like tales, and it does create a similar mood, without the heaviness.

This is a taut tale, with lots of action, and no wasted words.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.