Reader reviews and comments on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus links to write your own review.

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows X

Jul 2008, 288 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Lynn (07/30/09)

Loved this Book!!
The title is a little of a turn-off, but don't let it turn you away. It is a wonderful, enjoyable book. I literally laughed on one page and had tears in my eyes within another 20 pages. The characters are so wonderfully developed, even though the book is based on letters they have written to each other. I knew nothing about Guernsey or the occupation during WWII until I read this book. The authors introduced some very difficult subjects in a way that made it readable. Get this book right now!
Linda K (05/26/09)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
I loved this book partly because I was able to visit the Channel Islands in 1964 and the characterizations of the people rang so true to some of the people I met then. They still talked about Great War and we visited an army hospital and the concrete bunkers that were built by the natives for the Germans. Their isolation during the war was a challenge, but now the people who live on the Channel Islands relish their provincial isolation which gives them a serene and provincial nature.
Lupoman (05/21/09)

A Satisfying Read
This book was amazing; it took me just a few hours to read it entirely, and I didn't want it to end.

The characters were full of life; especially Adelaide Addison, she's a piece of work don't you know.

I'm sure that this book will be on discussion groups and book reader clubs far into the future. This is one book that needs to be discussed; it's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but altogether it sums up to be a satisfying read.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a good story.
Laura Adams (05/07/09)

Great Read!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was interesting and unique. I loved the true historical background about the Islands and it's occupation during WWII. I especially loved the diverse and quirky characters on the Island. I would highly recommend this book to others.
Julie Nolan (04/07/09)

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
A truly heart-warming novel that I didn't want to end. Full of humanity and humor and beautifully written.
Linda Collazos (04/01/09)

A Real Delight
I enjoyed every minute of this book. I felt that I had gotten to know these delightful characters and shared their lives. My horizons were widened by learning about the Channel Islands and their situation during World War II.
Helen Hunter (01/08/09)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Loving all things English, this novel begged to be read. Reminiscent of 84 Charing Cross Road in its presentation, I expected there to be attachments made through letters. Such friendships and relationships that can be made when people get acquainted through writing! Shaffer's characters are fully fleshed out with interesting quirks. She keeps the story moving forward with furtherance and hindrance, thus keeping the reader turning the pages. Such an enjoyable novel. Wish there could have been more from Mary Ann Shaffer.
Maxine (11/18/08)

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
This little book is a gem! The authors take readers through the gamut of emotions from laugh-out-loud to lump-in-the-throat; you care about the finely drawn characters because they are so real. Book clubs should have wonderful discussions about this story.

• Book Jacket: The Immortalists
    The Immortalists
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    The Hearts of Men
    by Nickolas Butler
    Set mostly in the woodlands of north Wisconsin, Nikolas Butler spins a familial saga that explores ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win The Driest Season

Win One of 50 Copies of This Exceptional Debut!

A deeply affecting story of loss, heartache, and—finally—hope.

A J O A Thousand M B W O S