Reader reviews and comments on The Cellist of Sarajevo, plus links to write your own review.

The Cellist of Sarajevo

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Cellist of Sarajevo

Judy Sandusky

The Cellist of Sarajevo
This is a magnificent sleeper of a book. I was immediately surprised by the power of the writing and as I continued reading, the story and its characters became stunning to me. One of the best books I've read in a very long time. Unforgettable.
Reader

Loved it.
I thought this was one of the most well-written, thought provoking, and moving books I have read in quite some time.
Mary Bentley

I disagree
I disagree with the previous reviewer, Annie Douglas. I have doubts she even read the book. Rather than rebut her, I will point out that the quality of the writing has been endorsed by Nobel Prize winner J.M Coetzee, Booker Prize winner Yann Martel, Khalid Hosseini and numerous other people who perhaps have a greater understanding of what constitutes good writing. I thought this was a magnificent book, one of the most sensitive and thought provoking novels I've ever read.
Annie Douglas

where have all the editors gone?
This book is marred by the absence of editing and many language howlers (his movement is slow and stiff -- digestive system still not working?). The female sniper is lifted from the world of action comic books, where she's meant to appeal to the imagination and sexual fantasies of teenage boys (of any age). Even her nickname, Arrow, comes straight from DC. The novel exploits tragedy to hop on the bandwagon of political fiction, but there is no real sense that the author has any understanding of the topic. The youth of the author shows. Yet all this could have been overlooked had the writing not been so poor. Where have all the editors gone?

• Book Jacket: The Art of the Wasted Day
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes