Reader reviews and comments on The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, plus links to write your own review.

by Sherman Alexie

Sep 2007, 230 pages
    Mar 2009, 288 pages

Amy Reading

There are currently 7 reader reviews for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

christina (03/11/16)

book rated
It is an amazing book.
julian (09/19/09)

funny but immature
It was a great book ,but it was written like it was for younger people, like 5th graders. The rating of maturity content to writing style didn't make sense, 8th grade maturity to 5th grade writing level.
Grandma Patty (04/02/09)

15 year old loves Sherman Alexie's Books
The Absolutely True Story of a Part-time Indian was a birthday gift to my grandson. I was amazed that he began reading the book the day he received it. He couldn't put it down. We have now collected more of Alexie's books for him. Our only wish is that Alexie would start a series of books for and about our Indian youth.
Nick (12/23/08)

Funny, True, and a book for Mature teens.
The book was great, the longest I have ever read. It was an extremely funny book. And a book with the voice of an actually Indian teenager.
Dilzina (03/30/08)

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
Sherman Alexie has done an excellent job capturing the experiences and emotions of an adolescent Native American boy struggling with his identity. He brings a sense of closeness with the character making you actually like the Indian, almost wanting to become a cheerleader for his success. Sherman almost makes the non-Native reader identify with the Indian boy by sharing the elements that ALL boys go through. It is great to see a Native American artist share their story that not only relates to other tribal people, but the main society as well, showing that we are not as different as people have portrayed us to be.
DJAY (02/16/08)

Good, but so SEXUAL!!
I can't believe how many sexual and curse words there are in this book!!! Good for older teens only!
rain (01/20/08)

Raw, honest--CRAZY funny
Note: geared towards older teens, and teen-at-heart adults. Not for children under eleven. Or for adults older than eighty-nine (wouldn't want get a heart-attack 'cus you're laughing so hard...)

Have you ever been a Native American? Yeah, me neither. But if you've ever felt messed-up, this book's for you.

If you are browsing books in search of something "worth it" (oh I know you book-browsers too well) I say DO NOT PASS THIS BOOK UP. It is "worth the read".

It is the story of a young Native-American boy caught between a need to belong to his culture, and a need to transcend (aka get over) his culture. But that's not what makes the book charming; it's the drawn-in cartoons/artwork/commentary that makes the book special.

And I'm not kidding when I say it's funny. God I swear I cried I was laughing SO hard.

Witty-complex, hil-air-ious-social-commentary- high-school-drama-real-life-struggle-fall-in-love-with-it read. Please, for my sake, pick this book up. If you don't like it well--okay. But chances are you'll love it.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review