Reader reviews and comments on Someone Knows My Name, plus links to write your own review.

aka: The Book of Negroes

by Lawrence Hill

Nov 2007, 512 pages
    Nov 2008, 512 pages

Stacey Brownlie

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Someone Knows My Name

Kristin (11/26/07)

Someone Knows My Name
I really enjoyed this book. A historical fiction novel that was easy to read as well as intriguing. A great insight into the slave trade as well. The writer did a great job of making you feel like you were experiencing Aminata's life as it was happening. I will definitely pass the book along.
Mercedes (11/26/07)

Someone Knows My Name
A powerful historically accurate book that brings alive the life of one woman enduring the emotional and physical hardships of slavery - written so well and so lyrically that we feel and see all she does - we are there - it is a visceral experience to read this book and I could not put it down - a true look at and experience of the human experience as it endures the unthinkable and yet retains it's humanity. It raises fascinating questions and one can see that to go against the tide is never easy but the results are world changing. This book will appeal to book clubs and older school students - as slavery is still happening today in other guises. Outstanding and beautifully written - I could not believe it was written by a man - he got into the mind and soul of the extraordinary life of Aminata. Highly recommended; a must read.
Barbara (11/20/07)

Outstanding
This book was engaging from the very beginning and I could not put it down. The character development, descriptions and plot were all extraordinary and although long it was well-paced. It is impossible not be drawn in by the main character and narrator, Aminata.

This book provides a fresh perspective on the horrors of slavery and prejudice. Knowing historical facts is so different than reading someone's first hand account of those events (even if in the context of historical fiction). Some characters stay with you long after the book is over and Aminata is one who I won't forget.
Barbara (11/20/07)

A Superb Tale
Hill's book is a powerful story of Aminata Diallo's struggle from her young girlhood to very later life. It is a superb tale which will keep you reading, from her abduction in a remote African village, to South Carolina, to Nova Scotia, to Sierra Leone to London ..... always trying to keep her identity and finding her way back to HER culture!

I truly enjoyed this horrific journey...a woman's view of her struggle every day of her life. It would be a fantastic book for a book club to discuss, especially one containing women! It could be considered comparable to "Roots"... only I identified more with this book. The strength of the human spirit is amazingly portrayed here with fabulous descriptive language ...... you will the "there" with Aminata when reading!!
Aleta (11/20/07)

An Unflinching Look at History
The story of Aminata Diallo chronicles not only her capture as a child in Africa, but also her subsequent search for freedom in many unforeseen places and circumstances. As events unfold, Hill highlights a little known chapter of American and Canadian history inspired by The Book of Negroes: a real document describing blacks who, as a reward for their service to the King, retreated from the Thirteen Colonies to Nova Scotia after the Revolutionary War.

Although the characters are fictional, they have tangible roots in research that provide an intensely personal, sometimes visceral, look at real events. As a result, the fates of Aminata, her family and friends become increasingly important. Balancing the inevitable cruelties of slavery are the courage, will, compassion, and humor that breathe life into the tale. Too graphic for younger readers, the unflinching truths of the book seem both appropriate and compelling for anyone who is old enough to digest the evening news and survive to watch again. I finished the book quickly to discover the final circumstances of an indomitable woman and was not disappointed. When I read the last words, I closed the book with a thump and a smile
Darlene (11/14/07)

Book clubs take note!
After a few chapters, I expected to see a novel I had seen before, that of "Roots" by Alex Haley, but I was very wrong and was soon riveted to the life story of Aminata Diallo.

What made this book enjoyable was the unpredictability of the story line, the believable maturation of Aminata's psyche from child-like innocence to the wisdom of experience, and finally an epic that is beautifully told.

This would be a wonderful book for any book club as there are a number of issues, besides slavery, which would make for a lively discussion.
Kate (11/14/07)

Someone Knows My Name
Someone Knows My Name is a story that fills the reader with so many emotions,it is hard to identify what you are feeling while reading it. The story draws you in from page one and takes you on an amazing journey across many oceans and continents. I have never read a historical fiction novel that is so engaging, descriptive and even poetic at times. The story flowed beautifully and never lost its momentum. At 486 pages, that is a feat in itself. I definitely recommend it.
Nicolette (11/14/07)

A Fascinating Read
I really enjoyed this book. It is very easy to get into. The main character--Aminata--is so vivid and real that you will feel as if you know her. You will be able to relate to her instantly. I would recommend this book to others who enjoy reading historical fiction. In fact, I think it is a great book for discussion and plan to suggest it to my book club.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: