Reader reviews and comments on Shadow of the Silk Road, plus links to write your own review.

Shadow of the Silk Road

by Colin Thubron

Shadow of the Silk Road

Jul 2007, 363 pages
    Jul 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for Shadow of the Silk Road

Mary (07/31/08)

Like great writing?
I'm not recommending this for my book club because it's not very "discussable": I'm not recommending it to most of my busy friends because it demands an ambling read. I'm not talking about it with family because the subject matter is is far from today's urgent topics. And yet, for more time than 350 pages usually requires of me, I have been completely mesmerized. Thubron paints people and places - old men, children, hills and valleys, rivers and skies, each with unique descriptive skill, and brings me with him to a China I will never see. We are blessed with so many "good" books out there; it has been many years since I have been blessed with such wondrous writing.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review