Reader reviews and comments on The View from Mount Joy, plus links to write your own review.

by Lorna Landvik

Sep 2007, 368 pages
    Sep 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The View from Mount Joy

Ursula (08/10/10)

The View from Mount Joy by Norma Landvik
This book turned out to be not very satisfying. It did not capture me and I found the author's writing style rather simple. She failed to bring us closer to Joe's character, who is after all the narrator. It is however, a nice travel back it time and I enjoyed the author's poignant humor.
Jennifer (07/23/08)

The view from this mount was mediocre
Lorna Ladnvik developed the story around the universal truth that life never turns out the way you expect. As always, her writing is filled with unexpected, delightful description and insight. This time, however, her characters failed to capture my heart. I did not connect to the characters, so for me, the emotion of the plot felt false and contrived. Reactions to the book, within a group, will most likely be quite diverse, so with mild reservation, I would recommend it for a book club selection.
Teresa (01/01/08)

Colorful characters, downhome charm
Book clubs will surely love this wonderful novel with quirky characters and warm, witty dialogue. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, we follow Joe through his teens into adulthood with his family and friends as they navigate the waters of love, life, and reality. It will alternatively make you laugh aloud and cry. A very good read - as all of Lorna Landviks' books have been!
PAB Sacto CA (11/03/07)

Not my favorite of Landvicks books
I agree with Catherine regarding character Kristi...she was never a real person to me...the fascination of Joe with her was never fully compelling to me...I have read all of the other books by this author..this is my least favorite. Maybe a disappointment was bound to happen. I will not give up for sure and still worth the read.
SAM (10/25/07)

From Mount Joy to Main Street
I didn't laugh out loud, the way I usually do with Landvik's books, but I had a really good time reading it anyway.

The View from Mount Joy contains the same characters found in her other books - the real people who populate cities and towns everywhere. And it is about the same real stories that those people live every day in the cities and towns everywhere.

Simple truth, about the joy and angst of living, that everyone faces every day, and how, if you're just a little bit lucky, one of your life-long friends is a really wonderful person.
Karen (10/10/07)

A Step Back In Time
I've had no desire to go back to my teenage years of angst and insecurities but Landvik's novel took me there - and I loved it! At first I wasn't sure I was the target audience (the narrator is a teenager when the story begins). However, as the story evolved I came to care very much about the characters - even Kristi who is exasperatingly self-absorbed but a marvelous foil for the generous and lovable Joe, the narrator. A delightful story, well told and true to the time as I remember it.
Anne (10/10/07)

The View from Mount Joy
I really liked this book. At first I was a little concerned that it was another coming of age story. Not so interesting to a 63-year old woman. But, while there was a little of that--the story quickly evolved into a fascinating account of family, biological and otherwise. The characters were very well drawn, and seemed like people one would like to meet and be friends with. There were a few tears, but after all life contains a few tears. I am encouraged to read other books by Lorna Landvik after reading The View from Mount Joy. All in all, a very good read.
Teresa (09/20/07)

by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Life is the garment we continually alter, but which never seems to fit.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: