Reader reviews and comments on Angela's Ashes, plus links to write your own review.

Angela's Ashes

A Memoir

by Frank McCourt

Angela's Ashes

Sep 1996, 360 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 88 reader reviews for Angela's Ashes

skp (03/12/03)

WOW! what a great book! I couldn't put it down. This book envoked just about every emotion. I would suggest this book to every adult!!
Heather (03/04/03)

Angela`s Ashes was an excellent book and I recomment this book for young adults and older. I couldn`t put it down.
Josh Glenn (02/25/03)

MCcourts story twisted and tugged at me personally on accout that i am a survivor of lower to middle class ireland.

Rachel Barker (02/25/03)

This book definately shows how much poverty there was in Ireland and makes you feel greatful for what you have. You get to see how one person could survive such a terrible life.
Jennifer (01/23/03)

This book is purely incredible. I had to read it for a school assignment, and at first I was dreading reading it, but once I started I really couldn't put it down. It is highly entertaining and very funny, while at the same time it is very moving. It gave me a new perspective on life; I now realize how truly hard some people's lives are and I appreciate my life much more. I would, without a doubt, recommend this book to anyone, whether you love literature or you don't really like to read -- you'll love it either way! This book is amazing!
Melissa MacDonald (12/26/02)

I think this book was above Excellant. It's a pager turner . Once you start you cant put it down

Susie (11/12/02)

Angela’s Ashes is a gripping memoir about a young boy named Frank growing up in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. His troubled world is full of death, disease, and starvation which is further complicated by his father’s drinking problem and the depression of his mother. Frank is forced to become an adult at an early age taking on the responsibility of supporting his family while his father is in England squandering away his earnings. Through all his hardships Frank learns to see life in a new light and dreams of the place where he can leave all his troubles behind and start a new life.

Frank McCourt’s tale leaps off its pages creating a vivid picture of his early childhood. Once I started reading this book I couldn’t wait to see what happens in the end. Frank’s life is so fascinating and tragic that it left me wanting to know more. Rarely does a writer capture life’s ups and downs in such a remarkable way. Readers everywhere will be touched by McCourt’s story of survival and growth.

JvTo (11/12/02)

Born in the slums of Brooklyn, NY, Frank McCourt embarks on a childhood journey that takes him back to his parents’ homeland, Ireland. In a period of national depression Frank’s family finds no other choice of staying alive than going back to Ireland where they would have to face the hardships of poverty, and bear their father’s reckless vice of drinking away their money.

Angela’s Ashes, by Frank McCourt, is yet one more poignant story that recounts how a child is forced to survive around the ignorance of their ambiance, and the social prejudice that abounds between our human races. It is the story of fighting to see your dream come true.

In this captivating novel I was able to sympathize with McCourt through his accounts of how life treated him and his family, as will anybody else that reads it. The story wraps its readers, zooming in and out of events that forever took a toll on the lives of all of Frank’s family. This novel is a stunning memoir worth to read anytime by anyone; it transports its readers into the Irish essentials and ways of life.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Tom Jackson

by Paulette Jiles

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.