Reader reviews and comments on Origin, plus links to write your own review.

by Diana Abu-Jaber

Jun 2007, 384 pages
    May 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Origin

Power Reviewer Kim (04/13/08)

Not your typical mystery novel
There are two mysteries in “Origin,” one concerning the murder of infants, the other the “origin” of the main character. While the mysteries in the novel are compelling, the pace is slower than what you’d find in traditional mysteries. I also found one mystery rather predictable, with the tie-in to the second to be weak. Yet – I really liked the book! Abu-Jaber’s writing is rich with sumptuous descriptions and extremely strong characters. I highly recommend this book for readers who enjoy lush writing, who can appreciate a book simply because the author turns a beautiful phrase. “Origin” is likely to appeal to readers who enjoyed “Christine Falls” and “The Savage Garden.”
Deborah M (08/22/07)

The reviewers are right!
The protagonist in this book is so well drawn that the plot is almost secondary. I cared so much for her and about her. Well written with an unusual plot twist. As a California transplant who was raised in "snow country," her descriptions of winter in Syracuse were almost enough to send me running for a comforter.

I really loved Lena and love this author. Give this book a try. You won't be disappointed!

• Book Jacket: The Mothers
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson
  • Book Jacket: Mercury
    by Margot Livesey
    Margot Livesey explores the moneyed suburbs of Boston and creates a modern morality tale chronicling...

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

by Paulette Jiles

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.