Reader reviews and comments on When Pride Still Mattered, plus links to write your own review.

When Pride Still Mattered

Sep 2000, 544 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for When Pride Still Mattered

Gary Easter (04/17/14)

History of the game
Not only was this book outstanding for understanding the history of football, but the changing of society during the Lombardi years, and insight into the game and the path Lombardi took.
scarf (10/12/11)

It was ok
From an investigational standpoint, this book is filled. I wanted to hear more about Lombardi's childhood. Skims over it, which is a bit disappointing. Coming from this author I expected more I guess.
Mark_Bledsoe (03/04/04)

A very balanced look at a great coach, and interesting man
Bob (05/17/02)

GREAT
Supertuffguy@hotmail.com (04/18/02)

I had to read this book for a sports ethics class. From the beginning I was skeptical about how all the informatin would tie into a story of Lombardi's life. It did not take me long until I could not set this book down. I would recomend this book to anyone who has an interest in football or who is curious about Lombardi.
Anonymous (08/12/01)

Scot W Goller
This author has captured something that is not lost, but perhaps buried deep in our national persona. He finds in a legend the complicated intricacies of greatness. The man Lombardi, never a simple character, rose as can all of us, above the petty, despite our own shortcomings. This powerful book reminds us that un-perfect people can rise to great things. Dignity, honor and sacrifice above self, is not very popular as a concept these days. Lombardi's legacy is to remind us that without these virtues, we cannot move forward. Congratulations on a great and inspiring read Mr. Maraniss.

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review