Reader reviews and comments on A Long Way Gone, plus links to write your own review.

A Long Way Gone

Aug 2008, 240 pages

There are currently 18 reader reviews for A Long Way Gone

Rachel (07/18/08)

Amazing
I would rate this book 108,079,832, if i could. I don't know what it is but this book just amazes me. I think because it really happened. I read the book in 2 sittings and when i finished it i wanted to read it again. The way Beah wrote the book and explained everything and everyone around him is awesome. He writes in a very mournful and regretful tone, yet relives at some points and very well educated. I would recommends this book a = to anyone!!
Power Reviewer Kim (04/13/08)

Great story, so-so writing
I’m always uncertain how to “rate” books like A Long Way Gone. Do you base it on the importance of the story, or the quality of the writing? Those of us in the U.S. tend to be fairly isolated in our comfortable lives, and need to be reminded that the type of events that take place in the book are still happening in other parts of the world. Ishmael Beah’s story is therefore an important one, and one I’d recommend to anyone with even the remotest interest in current events. While fairly well-written, however, I did find myself wanting more from the book. Events are related somewhat dispassionately, without a lot of depth. In addition, I felt the book ended too soon – I wanted to know the rest of Beah’s story.
Christina (04/11/08)

Must Read!
This book was the most compelling piece of literature that I have ever read in a long time.

The imagery, was very well written that as a read it (in my busy office) I felt like I was walking with Ishmael throughout his journey, I was empathetic when he lost everything that meant something to him and I read into everything that he didn't understand and interpreted it into my own life.

This is something that the younger generations of inner city children and young adults NEED to read not only for a rude awakening, but to understand the perception of Americans that is broadcasted to other countries and how they should make an effort to change that image.

"A Long Way Gone," hits closer to home than I expected and will recommend this to anyone.
Darcie K (03/20/08)

Incredible
I would never have understood how a child could become a willing killer if I hadn't read this story. It is a remarkable description that makes you not only believe, but also understand how it happens. I want young people to read this story, not only to know how good they have it in the US, but also to become aware of the circumstances in which others are trying to survive.
Keith (12/30/07)

Strength
Beah is an exceptional writer who has gone through horrific obstacles in his life. At such a young age he had engaged in things that adult soldiers do not engage in. I praise Beah in having the courage, dedication, and heart to write such a great book. I hope that a movie is made on behalf of this book, it would be a movie worth seeing and maybe the American public can become more aware of the dismay and treacherous conditions in Africa. This is still an ongoing problem throughout most of the country, as most people are not aware of. Buy and read this book, it will enhance your idealistic views.
Brooke Hainer (10/18/07)

A Very Humbling Read
I just this evening finished this book and I must say it left me feeling quite humble about what I consider the "bad things" in my life and very much appreciative of the now oh so obvious blessings that I have. The author takes us into a world that many, if not the majority of us cannot and thankfully will not ever experience first hand. A world that should be made aware to all and not simply ignored. It is a strong show of the ability of the human spirit to survive against the odds. It also shows, very well I might add, the ability for the human spirit to find itself again and the fragility of us as humans and our need for the love, understanding and patience with each other. My hat goes off to this young man who has written his story, full of atrocities, in such an eloquent and heart felt way.
Debbie London England (08/02/07)

A long way gone
The book A Long Way Gone is one of the best books I have ever read, ( and believe me i have read a lot). While reading this book I cried about 3 or 4 times, it really got to my emotions. Ismael Beah is a really good writer, He uses his words in a very descriptive way, I was really on the journey with him. Everyone should read this book to remember to never take anything for granted, and to always remind yourself of the injustices what is happening every day in one situation or another.
Helen (07/23/07)

A must read
I am so deeply touched by the book. I keep pondering on one single question...how does one regain their humanity after going through such pain and sorrow. I have been through the war myself, not to the extent that Ishmael has. I commend him for bringing this out in the open, i can only imagine how much guts it took to write a story like this. He is a proven example that no matter what you through in life, there is always a chance of things getter better and brighter...there is always a second chance.

• Book Jacket: Lincoln in the Bardo

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities.

K Your F C