Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Bonnie L. (10/21/07)

A must read!
This book is not be be missed...as it tells us about what we as a society haven't quite yet learned even after the horrific Nazi atrocities of WWII. This book should be compulsory reading for every high schooler.
Jebidiah (10/16/07)

Great Book
I think that this book is marvelous and a great book to read and to show not to judge someone one how they look better to judge them by who they are and to show what the Jews went through.
N E Watt (07/19/07)

The Moralistic Universality of Boyne's latest publication
"The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" was first brought to my attention by a friend who had picked it up in the local library knowing nothing about it. She thought it such an addition to the literary cannon that she advised me to read it.

The novel is set mainly in a rather famous German Nazi concentration camp, where many jews were inhumanely murdered, but also the setting takes us to Berlin.

The reader experiences the War from the perspective of a rather pompous, sometimes irritating, innocent and always somehow profoundly baffled 9-year-old boy called Bruno. We, the reader, are with him as he and his family unit make the move from Berlin to the concentration camp, where his father, The Commandant, is to be in charge.

The boy in the striped pyjamas could refer to Schmuel, a Polish Jew who Bruno befriends on an adventure. There friendship survives the separation enforced by an obtrusive wire fence. In Bruno's innocence he does not realise that Schmuel is a prisoner of the German Empire, and that he is there to be murdered.

A real sense of innocence and the clarity and reality it brings pervades this work. This can be seen in Bruno's lack of understanding of why a Doctor should be waiting on table for he and his family, and in the metaphor of striped pyjamas, which of course alludes to the uniforms that the Jews were forced to wear.

Fearing an imminent return to Berlin, and the loss of his friend, Bruno has one last "adventure" where he and Schmuel would finally be able to play together. Bruno breaks under the fence to play with his friends adopting the striped pyjamas also. Whilst in the camp the Nazi soldiers round up a group of men and boys, including Schmuel and Bruno and they are taken to a hut were they are gased. This is all described to us chillingly through the innocent and childish vehicle of Bruno.

I have read review after review of this book with people stating that this book is not for 9 year olds. I simply don't agree.This novel is universal. The style of this book is simple and clear for any reader. Properly taught to the young by a tutor, teacher, or willing parent this book should become an instrumental work for the children of this country, and indeed the rest of the world.

Indeed in Ireland, where division and discrimination have reigned for so many years, it is vitally important.

This novel illustrates to children and adults alike, the stupidity of war, the ignorance of discrimination, be it racism between black and white or what you will. This novel brings simplicity and an amazing clarity to achieving peace.

This work by Boyne is a universal moralistic and anti-discriminatory contribution not just to the cannon but to society; from child to adult.

This work tells us not to judge on appearances.
bex howarth (07/17/07)

amazing book
This is the best book Ihave ever read!! Absolutely amazing! John Boyne is so talented! I could read this book over and over again!
milli (07/01/07)

wow good
I have the book The Boy in the Striped Pajamas ( the adult one). My friend at school's mum had this book and said that it was really good . Normally I don't like reading and so far ( I am 12) I have read only 2 books that I have enjoyed this being one of them. It is such a fantastic book, my mum and dad thought hat it was great because it is about what really happened in the war. At the end it is quite sad but still very good. I really enjoyed it and would really recomend it to people who do not like reading. And every one else as well.
laura (12/17/06)

The boy in the stripped pajamas
I could not put this book down. That was how excellent it was.

Smoke
    by Dan Vyleta
  • Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow

The Library of Light and Shadow by M.J. Rose

The Almost Sisters

A powerful, emotionally resonant novel of the South.

T H Are B T O