Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

A Fable

by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Sep 2006, 224 pages
    Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

rocky marciano (10/20/08)

The boy in the stripped novella
This book is a well-meaning failure that could be thus summarized:

Autistic German boy -son of Nazi officer- befriends Polish Jew boy -also suffering from autism- at concentration camp.

Bruno doesn't know that his father is in the army and his country at war. Schmuel doesn't realize he is a prisoner, but survives in the camp for one year with nothing to do all day long. Give me a break!

If you see the homonymous film after reading the book, you'll notice the significant changes continuously introduced in the script to make the story (just barely) plausible.

Don't lose your time reading this utter nonsense.

Go get a DVD of Roberto Benini's "Life is Beautiful" instead. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time with a story of love and desperate wit.

Benini's wonderful fable ultimately treats the Holocaust in a dignified manner -- while Boyne's novella is stripped of all dignity.
Selam (09/27/08)

The boy in the stirpeed pjs
I thought the book was wicked and when I started it I couldn't stop reading it
Katie (05/21/08)

The boy in striped pyjamas
I really enjoy it, even though we are doing it in English at the moment I am finding it quite interesting. I love the way it told by a 9 year old as all the details are only hinted at. It is a great book and although quite a few of the details need to be explained it is very easy to catch up with.
sharon gray (05/20/08)

boy in striped PJS
I enjoyed this book, once started I had to finish it.

Very daunting with lasting after effects.

I attend a book group and that was the last book we have read I'm curious to know what others from the group thought about it. will find out at the next meeting!
Must Read ! (03/26/08)

Very Good!
I found this book very good, It's moving, and helps you too understand what happened at the concentration camps in that time. It kept me up all night reading it, and once i started couldn't put it down. A definitely must read!
GPL (11/08/07)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
This excellent book is offered as Young Adult. I found the compelling story to be a bit mature for true YA readers.
An amazing story, that kept me up all night reading. I had to finish the book once I started it. This book, along with The Book Thief (interestingly also considered a YA book), are the 2 books I have been insisting that all my reading friends invest their time in.
Alice wilkinson (10/30/07)

great read
Best world war 2 book after the silver sword! I am 10 and my mum got me the book for my birthday. Since then, most my mums' friends have read it. I think it is a great book.
Susan H. (10/26/07)

Everyone must read
This is a must read for everyone. I read it over last summer and had to pass it on with the understanding of the reader that I could not tell them anything about it. All those that read it are in awe. An awesome read.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

Seven Days of Us
    by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F