Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Sep 2006, 224 pages
    Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 72 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Tilly (11/17/08)

This book really made me think!
"The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas" is about a 9 year old boy Natzi named Bruno. This naive little boy soon has to move from his five floor house in Berlin to Out-With for his father is offered an important job involved with World War Two! Bored stiff Bruno ventures out to discover something new and he meets Shmuel, a 9 year old Jewish boy trapped behind a fence. There friendship conquers their differences but also leads them into trouble.

It's a must read book, I could not put it down! I recomend an age from A bright 11 - Adult, younger children will not understand. I give this a four star rating!
a 15 year old (10/21/08)

15 year olds opinion
This book was amazing. I laughed and cried all the way through it . People say it's for children, but I don't think is true because I know many 12 year olds or younger who wouldn't understand it, and I think that adults would love this book as well: It may not be very complex but that is because it is from the perspective of a 9 year old boy. and I could really relate to every thing that was said
rocky marciano (10/20/08)

The boy in the stripped novella
This book is a well-meaning failure that could be thus summarized:

Autistic German boy -son of Nazi officer- befriends Polish Jew boy -also suffering from autism- at concentration camp.

Bruno doesn't know that his father is in the army and his country at war. Schmuel doesn't realize he is a prisoner, but survives in the camp for one year with nothing to do all day long. Give me a break!

If you see the homonymous film after reading the book, you'll notice the significant changes continuously introduced in the script to make the story (just barely) plausible.

Don't lose your time reading this utter nonsense.

Go get a DVD of Roberto Benini's "Life is Beautiful" instead. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time with a story of love and desperate wit.

Benini's wonderful fable ultimately treats the Holocaust in a dignified manner -- while Boyne's novella is stripped of all dignity.
Selam (09/27/08)

The boy in the stirpeed pjs
I thought the book was wicked and when I started it I couldn't stop reading it
Katie (05/21/08)

The boy in striped pyjamas
I really enjoy it, even though we are doing it in English at the moment I am finding it quite interesting. I love the way it told by a 9 year old as all the details are only hinted at. It is a great book and although quite a few of the details need to be explained it is very easy to catch up with.
sharon gray (05/20/08)

boy in striped PJS
I enjoyed this book, once started I had to finish it.

Very daunting with lasting after effects.

I attend a book group and that was the last book we have read I'm curious to know what others from the group thought about it. will find out at the next meeting!
Must Read ! (03/26/08)

Very Good!
I found this book very good, It's moving, and helps you too understand what happened at the concentration camps in that time. It kept me up all night reading it, and once i started couldn't put it down. A definitely must read!
GPL (11/08/07)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
This excellent book is offered as Young Adult. I found the compelling story to be a bit mature for true YA readers.
An amazing story, that kept me up all night reading. I had to finish the book once I started it. This book, along with The Book Thief (interestingly also considered a YA book), are the 2 books I have been insisting that all my reading friends invest their time in.

Driving Miss Norma
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E