Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 71 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Josh. B. (03/11/09)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas I think is good to be recommended to Jr. high students. Its seems to be written at that level. It does get you to think and ask questions, for the most part that is a good trait in a novel. The book is not to much plain and you are surprised by some even minor twists. The people and events are vivid due to good description, you are provoked to make clear maybe even accurate images in your head. All in all, my interest was eventually sparked in this book, so I would recommend anyone who is a reader to take a glance at this book at least.
SPADE123 (03/09/09)

I thought the book was a good way of seeing the world the world for what it was back in 1940's threw a set of innocent eyes. I thought the book had to many dull points in the book with the dialoged, some points I don't think need to be in there are the parts with the further. Bruno should have had an idea what was going on the other side of the fence, when reading the book you see he’s not a dumb kid, he should know that his father is mistreated everyone cause he knows where his father works and he knows where his friend Shmuel lives. I thought this book was kind of hard to put down after awhile of getting into it, but the ending I thought was weak cause of the way it ended so suddenly.
lauren branch (03/03/09)

it has real potiential
This book was very good. It may not be realistic, but some portion of the fence will not be guarded. There were to many poor souls in there to keep count of.
Rach (02/05/09)

The book is way better than the movie and most of the time I like the movie better than the books.
Rach (02/05/09)

The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas
This book is a book that I would recomend reading. The book keeps you hooked to the end. If I was a bad person I'd tell you the ending but I want you to find out for yourself. Bruno is a normal boy and I cried at the end!
katie (02/03/09)

It really annoyed me that this book was so historically inaccurate. I felt that it almost makes light of the Holocaust. How does is it that a small boy in a prison could sit by an unguarded fence for a year and not attempt to escape, but instead let his friend into the prison. How is it that neither of these boys figure out what is going on. I mean the smell of burning bodies everyday would have been a big clue. Oh yeah, and how did a small child make it through the selection process in the first place? Almost all children were gassed on arrival by 1943. There are so many good books to read to explain the Holocaust to children. I'm sorry to see that so many kids are wasting their time on this book. A small amount of research would have made this a better book. But the author seems unwilling to let facts get in the way of his story.
A review from an 8th grader (12/14/08)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
This was a great book. It kept me reading and explained the holocaust to me through the eyes of a little boy who lived through it. It takes you through the adventures and life of 9 year old Bruno and his family. I thought this was an amazing book and it could appeal to anyone. The end touched my heart forever and I will never forget this book.
Tilly (11/17/08)

This book really made me think!
"The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas" is about a 9 year old boy Natzi named Bruno. This naive little boy soon has to move from his five floor house in Berlin to Out-With for his father is offered an important job involved with World War Two! Bored stiff Bruno ventures out to discover something new and he meets Shmuel, a 9 year old Jewish boy trapped behind a fence. There friendship conquers their differences but also leads them into trouble.

It's a must read book, I could not put it down! I recomend an age from A bright 11 - Adult, younger children will not understand. I give this a four star rating!

• Book Jacket: A Land of Permanent Goodbyes

by Alice Feeney

Win The Balcony

The Balcony
by Jane Delury

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!