Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

SPADE123 (03/09/09)

STRIPED UP
I thought the book was a good way of seeing the world the world for what it was back in 1940's threw a set of innocent eyes. I thought the book had to many dull points in the book with the dialoged, some points I don't think need to be in there are the parts with the further. Bruno should have had an idea what was going on the other side of the fence, when reading the book you see he’s not a dumb kid, he should know that his father is mistreated everyone cause he knows where his father works and he knows where his friend Shmuel lives. I thought this book was kind of hard to put down after awhile of getting into it, but the ending I thought was weak cause of the way it ended so suddenly.
lauren branch (03/03/09)

it has real potiential
This book was very good. It may not be realistic, but some portion of the fence will not be guarded. There were to many poor souls in there to keep count of.
Rach (02/05/09)

Twilight
The book is way better than the movie and most of the time I like the movie better than the books.
Rach (02/05/09)

The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas
This book is a book that I would recomend reading. The book keeps you hooked to the end. If I was a bad person I'd tell you the ending but I want you to find out for yourself. Bruno is a normal boy and I cried at the end!
katie (02/03/09)

lackofresearchonauthorspart
It really annoyed me that this book was so historically inaccurate. I felt that it almost makes light of the Holocaust. How does is it that a small boy in a prison could sit by an unguarded fence for a year and not attempt to escape, but instead let his friend into the prison. How is it that neither of these boys figure out what is going on. I mean the smell of burning bodies everyday would have been a big clue. Oh yeah, and how did a small child make it through the selection process in the first place? Almost all children were gassed on arrival by 1943. There are so many good books to read to explain the Holocaust to children. I'm sorry to see that so many kids are wasting their time on this book. A small amount of research would have made this a better book. But the author seems unwilling to let facts get in the way of his story.
A review from an 8th grader (12/14/08)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
This was a great book. It kept me reading and explained the holocaust to me through the eyes of a little boy who lived through it. It takes you through the adventures and life of 9 year old Bruno and his family. I thought this was an amazing book and it could appeal to anyone. The end touched my heart forever and I will never forget this book.
Tilly (11/17/08)

This book really made me think!
"The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas" is about a 9 year old boy Natzi named Bruno. This naive little boy soon has to move from his five floor house in Berlin to Out-With for his father is offered an important job involved with World War Two! Bored stiff Bruno ventures out to discover something new and he meets Shmuel, a 9 year old Jewish boy trapped behind a fence. There friendship conquers their differences but also leads them into trouble.

It's a must read book, I could not put it down! I recomend an age from A bright 11 - Adult, younger children will not understand. I give this a four star rating!
a 15 year old (10/21/08)

15 year olds opinion
This book was amazing. I laughed and cried all the way through it . People say it's for children, but I don't think is true because I know many 12 year olds or younger who wouldn't understand it, and I think that adults would love this book as well: It may not be very complex but that is because it is from the perspective of a 9 year old boy. and I could really relate to every thing that was said

• Book Jacket: Hunger