Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 69 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

lauren branch (03/03/09)

it has real potiential
This book was very good. It may not be realistic, but some portion of the fence will not be guarded. There were to many poor souls in there to keep count of.
Rach (02/05/09)

Twilight
The book is way better than the movie and most of the time I like the movie better than the books.
Rach (02/05/09)

The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas
This book is a book that I would recomend reading. The book keeps you hooked to the end. If I was a bad person I'd tell you the ending but I want you to find out for yourself. Bruno is a normal boy and I cried at the end!
katie (02/03/09)

lackofresearchonauthorspart
It really annoyed me that this book was so historically inaccurate. I felt that it almost makes light of the Holocaust. How does is it that a small boy in a prison could sit by an unguarded fence for a year and not attempt to escape, but instead let his friend into the prison. How is it that neither of these boys figure out what is going on. I mean the smell of burning bodies everyday would have been a big clue. Oh yeah, and how did a small child make it through the selection process in the first place? Almost all children were gassed on arrival by 1943. There are so many good books to read to explain the Holocaust to children. I'm sorry to see that so many kids are wasting their time on this book. A small amount of research would have made this a better book. But the author seems unwilling to let facts get in the way of his story.
A review from an 8th grader (12/14/08)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
This was a great book. It kept me reading and explained the holocaust to me through the eyes of a little boy who lived through it. It takes you through the adventures and life of 9 year old Bruno and his family. I thought this was an amazing book and it could appeal to anyone. The end touched my heart forever and I will never forget this book.
Tilly (11/17/08)

This book really made me think!
"The Boy In the Striped Pyjamas" is about a 9 year old boy Natzi named Bruno. This naive little boy soon has to move from his five floor house in Berlin to Out-With for his father is offered an important job involved with World War Two! Bored stiff Bruno ventures out to discover something new and he meets Shmuel, a 9 year old Jewish boy trapped behind a fence. There friendship conquers their differences but also leads them into trouble.

It's a must read book, I could not put it down! I recomend an age from A bright 11 - Adult, younger children will not understand. I give this a four star rating!
a 15 year old (10/21/08)

15 year olds opinion
This book was amazing. I laughed and cried all the way through it . People say it's for children, but I don't think is true because I know many 12 year olds or younger who wouldn't understand it, and I think that adults would love this book as well: It may not be very complex but that is because it is from the perspective of a 9 year old boy. and I could really relate to every thing that was said
rocky marciano (10/20/08)

The boy in the stripped novella
This book is a well-meaning failure that could be thus summarized:

Autistic German boy -son of Nazi officer- befriends Polish Jew boy -also suffering from autism- at concentration camp.

Bruno doesn't know that his father is in the army and his country at war. Schmuel doesn't realize he is a prisoner, but survives in the camp for one year with nothing to do all day long. Give me a break!

If you see the homonymous film after reading the book, you'll notice the significant changes continuously introduced in the script to make the story (just barely) plausible.

Don't lose your time reading this utter nonsense.

Go get a DVD of Roberto Benini's "Life is Beautiful" instead. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time with a story of love and desperate wit.

Benini's wonderful fable ultimately treats the Holocaust in a dignified manner -- while Boyne's novella is stripped of all dignity.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All