Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

A Fable

by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Sep 2006, 224 pages
    Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Josh Pickering (11/23/09)

Boy in the stripped pyjanas
I thought it was brill. I would recommend it to anybody.
Destinee (11/20/09)

Best Book :)
This book was a very wonderful book. I'm in 8th grade and I just loved this book. (:
Annie (10/17/09)

Not What You'd Expect...
I loved this book. The immature, childish, innocent narration leads to a horrifying, frightful ending, in which you wouldn't expect. This book left me shaken and telling myself, "That actually happened to people." It was my eye opener to the holocaust. It was clever and interesting the way they portrayed the main character, Bruno. He is a very real, innocent 9-year-old, not knowing the horrors that are right in front of him. After a while, you forget that these people are suffering in a concentration camp, because you start to think like Bruno. You tell yourself, "Everything is alright. They're fine. Bruno's dad wouldn't be that mean." But Bruno's dad is that mean, and he is faced with his ultimate revenge at the end of the book.
I recommend The Boy in the Striped Pajamas to any person 12 or older, who is looking for a historical fiction novel. Whoever you are, wherever you are, this book connects all of us, and reminds you that we are all human. John Boyne did an amazing job at portraying that message.
repetitive reader (10/04/09)

impression
I have read this book four times, each time my eyes go across a page I can picture the exact moment as it happens. The book is very visual and intriguing, I can never put it down.
lucy (08/30/09)

not so much
I love to read about the holocaust, and see what these people have experienced, but when I read this book I guess I expected something else. To me it didn't have a general message or theme, and Bruno seemed to complain in most of the book. I had to read it for summer reading but I wouldn't advise reading it.
Anna (06/14/09)

omgee
I thought that this book was amazing. I thought that this book would be another one of those horrible books that we are forced to read in school. It was by far most my favorite school book ever! Though my favorite books are the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyers. The boy in the Striped Pajamas was heart wrenching. The book was constant thinking and the ending really surprised me! I thought that Shmuel would be the only one who would be killed. It was a shock to me. The movie ending was interesting, I guess that they had to tie it with a Hollywood ending but I preferred the ending of the book. It left many open doors for the reader to think what occurred after.
Angela D. (06/01/09)

Boy In the Striped PJ's Review
I thought the book (and movie) were cruel and sad. I know that during the Holocaust it was brutal and sad but they didn't have to make the book and a PG-13 movie that graphic. It was an amazing story, I know, BUT BRUTAL. It gave me nightmares!
Josh. B. (03/11/09)

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas I think is good to be recommended to Jr. high students. Its seems to be written at that level. It does get you to think and ask questions, for the most part that is a good trait in a novel. The book is not to much plain and you are surprised by some even minor twists. The people and events are vivid due to good description, you are provoked to make clear maybe even accurate images in your head. All in all, my interest was eventually sparked in this book, so I would recommend anyone who is a reader to take a glance at this book at least.

• Book Jacket: Good Me Bad Me

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F