MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

A Fable

by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Sep 2006, 224 pages
    Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 69 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

m girl (04/21/10)

good
I loved the book so much I couldn't stop reading it!!!
the queen (03/21/10)

It is a good book
The book is good .
Anonymous (03/04/10)

My thoughts
I loved this book, and was so moved by it, I cried at the end. Anonymous, Age 14
Robzy 3 (03/04/10)

ABSOLUTELY PRAISEWORTHY!!
I absolutely loved this book, but I find it sad that some people can't understand that you have to be able to read between the lines to get the full appeal of this novel. The movie cannot do what Boyne did when he shows you the mind of the child. You must be very intuitive to read this novel, says me, at the age of 14, and I still got it!!!!
Fleur (02/15/10)

Moving
After reading the book 3 times I feel I have actually gone on Bruno's journey through his life at every moment. When he realises things or gets them wrong you feel like you would have made those decisions too and how oblivious you were at that age even when it was going on around you.
This book is fantastic and definitely worth reading. I would recommend this to anyone over the age of 11. But I would also recommend reading before you watch the film which is also good but to really feel the book and get the story you must read it and make your own view of it.
I chose this book for my common entrance relationships piece and it is really working well for me.
Malan (02/07/10)

The boy In the Stripe Pyjamas
I think the book is great. John Boyne really express the friendship very well in the book. He really show us that no matter what culture, religion, Country, colour, you are but everyone is the same. Bruno and Shumel’s friendship is very strong and a lot of people look up that friendship. When I read the book, I was very shocked to hear what happened in the end, it made me cry. I really wanted to watch the movie when it came out. I read the book with my class and I think everyone enjoyed it very much and I know myself I love it so I read it again.
charles p (01/07/10)

goodness with horrible consequenses
I think that this is a wonderful book with a high and a low of many things. The high: Bruno is just a plain little boy. The low is when we the readers find out about his father's role in the German war effort.
Josh Pickering (11/23/09)

Boy in the stripped pyjanas
I thought it was brill. I would recommend it to anybody.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun