Reader reviews and comments on The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, plus links to write your own review.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

A Fable

by John Boyne

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Sep 2006, 224 pages
    Oct 2007, 240 pages

There are currently 69 reader reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Waverley School yr 7 (06/12/11)

The boy in the striped pyjamas
This book was quiet enjoyable we read it as a class in year 7, it is based on a boy that is German and a boy that is a Jew and how they communicate as different citizens how they react as their generations being enemies???? rate: 4
Khamare (06/01/11)

Truly One of The Best
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It is easy to understand and with every word you read, it encourages you to read more and more.It is cleverly written and displays the horrors of the holocaust in a subtle way. It keeps ahead of you , until it delivers the last final pages , which are heartrendingI thought it was a great book. It is almost one of a kind , and the author, even though the book being less than 280 pages long , put two years of effort into writing it. This book was truly worth my time reading.
rayray (05/16/11)

not so good.
I didn't really like the book because it doesn't show the true horrors of a little 9yr old boy living in Auschwitz. It doesn't even have very historical facts on the Holocaust.
Wright (04/01/11)

Rather Poor...
This book was very unrealistic, I Couldn't help but get bored of it after a while. It made it very hard to finish and I would much prefer to have read a history book than this.
I'm in high school, and I would definitely not recommend this book to the learning education centre... unless they want the ACTUAL Facts. Twisted to suit the needs of a seemingly average author
Truzyboy (03/30/11)

Truzyboy
John Boyne has written a brilliant book he has explained everything very well, he has used the main character as a small boy which makes him ask lots of question as he doesn’t know exactly what is going on.
The story is about a boy called Bruno who moves away from Berlin as his Father has had a promotion so, they move to a house called Out-with which is next to a concentration camp. He then meets a boy called Shmuel who is on the other side of the fence that Bruno soon makes friends with. Then there friendship suddenly comes to an end.
The good bits about the book are the fact that it is based on a historic event.it leaves you hanging on every chapter it makes you have many emotions like sadness, happiness and excitement.
lucy (03/30/11)

the boy in striped pyjamas
I enjoyed this book because the author really drags you in with enthusiasm with the way he writes and he makes you feel like you are a part of all of it, like in the book.
I found the story sad, gripping and an extremely good read. The points I enjoyed the most was there was a lot for you to discover yourself like in between the lines and the story really made you think you were actually there experiencing it first hand and it really made you sympathise for the Jews back in those time
The things I didn’t enjoy so much is that if you hadn’t seen the film you wouldn’t have realised some aspects of the story
Overall I would give this book a ten out of ten because I think it is appealing for all types of readers.
Eugene Ma (02/24/11)

Boy in the Striped Pajamas
In my opinion this book is very vague. How can John Boyne confuse the difference from an innocent boy to an idiotic boy? The boy should have asked his father in the first place about what was going on in Out-With. Also the author makes it frustrating because of the cliff-hanger technique he is using constantly. You might say that I am only a teenager that read this book because of WWII, but in my defense it is the truth. But of course this book had amazing facts about WWII and how people were tortured and killed by Hitler and his tricks. But honestly the book could have expanded on Hitler, and his whole army of what was truly going on. Maybe it could have told us about Hitler AND his wife for less than 40 hours Eva Braun.
MJC (02/23/11)

the boy in striped pajamas
I loved this book, and I think it's one of my favorites!!!!

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review