Reader reviews and comments on Just In Case, plus links to write your own review.

by Meg Rosoff

Aug 2006, 256 pages
    Jan 2008, 256 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Just In Case

Xin ZhaoSionSnow (07/27/11)

This book is one legendary or maybe not.
This novel is about FATE and his delicate decision about treating people who they are and what will their future be like?
This novel is alright.......
I had to read in for school.
The introduction was BORING, however during the complication and nearing towards the climax, it get INTERESTING, such as sex, suspense, and complications between the main character named, Justin. Overall I've read 3/4 of the book so far, but I would recommend the novel having a better complication such as Justin dying in a horrific situation because he always GETS SAVED!
nickyy (07/04/11)

Please don't read this.
Ridiculously unreadable. How could anyone even rate this more than 1 star. There is no storyline and the characters are not described very well. I had to read this book for school and had to write a review of Agnes, a character from the book. Impossible as Meg Rosoff cannot write and uses to much description of "fate" and none of any story. Please, for your own good, DON'T read this!
Emily (01/10/08)

Well Written!
This was a wonderfully written book that tackles a subject that most teen authors don’t dare to tackle, fate. The main character, David Case, suspects fate is out to get him after his brother experiences a near death situation. In fear of fate making his life worse he changes his identity, and name to Justin. In his race to escape fate he comes in contact with many deadly situations that turn his life upside down, like contracting a disease to being one of few survivors of a terrible plane accident. I can easily relate to his 5-year old logic that, if I can’t see it It can’t see me. His logic and thoughts behind his actions, sometimes rash and sometimes comical will always hit you in just the right spot.

My main reason for liking this book is that sometimes fate is narrating the story. Some high power that David/Justin believes his controlling every ones lives always has some remark about what ever David/Justin does. The view is fine up here. I can look out across the world and see everything. One of my favorite sentences from fate is “For instance, I can see a fifteen-year-old boy and his brother.” It was going completely against David/Justin’s Logic and he is completely oblivious to it. I found this aspect of the book comical but almost creepy.

Meg Rossof uses such common language that every one can understand to weave such a complicated-at-first-look kind of plot. She makes David/Justin so paranoid that those fears begin to grow on you too. And that is a exceptionally good thing.
Maddie (07/06/07)

Just in case
WOW the book was ok . But the plot was really hard to follow. I nearly fell asleep and I'm surprised to hear that this book won the Carnegie medal for the best children's book in 2007.
Kathryn Minn (06/16/07)

Just In Case
I thought that it was a very funny and ironic type book. One that I wouldn't normally read but will read more of the sametype now that i have read one which is so good. I thought that it was great how he had things which guys that age wouldn't normally have such as an imaginary dog.
Ari (05/28/07)

justin case
I liked it a lot, I would always end up thinking about the book after I finished reading it for the time, it got sort of confusing but hey what 16 year old boy doesn't get confused. well I liked reading a book from a boys point of view. being a woman who wrote it I wonder how she knows how boys think. Well anyways I have to do a project on it and I'm finding it very hard to write about it, because the book is so deep or something I don't know over my head maybe. I cant seem to be able to put the main ideas in order to make like a sort of scene selection for like a movie.
RBD (01/23/07)

Just in case
I love it... im a teenager and i think every teenager is trying to find a way to survive life!! And this story is amazingly real!!
thea (11/14/06)

I'm 19 and i work in a kids bookshop. i don't say that to get me extra cred, but just to say that i have been reading quite a bit of teen fiction lately. But it is only Just in Case that has me 'googling' to find out more about its author. This is a beautiful book. Deep and interesting and beautifully written. Found myself reading a paragraph and then wanting to read it again because i wish i could write like that.

Its also a book that keeps on coming back into my head for some reason. I love how its looks at teenagers. And how it shows that you can parody something at the same time as being deeply sympathetic with it. Meg Rosoff is a very talented writer, and is definitely in a field of her own in the world of teen it... :)

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

Cruel Beautiful World