Reader reviews and comments on Just In Case, plus links to write your own review.

Just In Case

by Meg Rosoff

Just In Case by Meg Rosoff X
Just In Case by Meg Rosoff

Aug 2006, 256 pages
    Jan 2008, 256 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Just In Case

Banana In Pyjamas (08/01/11)

Alright Book
The book "Just In Case" can be an interesting, humorous and confusing book. The book gets interesting because of everything that he does captures your attention. It can get a bit humorous when the story gets to a sexual scene. The storyline can get confusing every time Justin thinks of complicated situations. If you want to read something different for a change, I guess you can read this book.
Oscar Dylan Judd 3 votes (08/01/11)

In the middle
In the first chapter I was really confused about what was going on and why David had such an over-reaction over an accident that didn't even happen to him.

I did not like this book because I didn't like the character of Justin Case. I didn't like his character because it was an over-reacting, horny, whinging guy that is always sad about everything. In real life this guy would not have many friends or people that like him.

What I did like about this book was the inclusion of fate into it, it really gave something for the reader to think about and just another problem or situation for the book and situations always make a book good.
coolkid (08/01/11)

not my cup of tea
When i first had to read this novel for school a lot of people had been telling me that it is a horrible book, but during the first couple of chapters of the novel it was interesting. But then when I reached chapter 10 it started to go down from there. The character seemed too annoying by always thinking that fate is after him and going to kill him for example:
'He struggled to a sitting position, feeling for the sticky wetness oozing from a bullet hole in his forehead. Someone's hands were behind him on his shoulders, supporting him gently. He forced his eyes to focus desperately sweeping the crowd for the hit man, the smoking gun tossed away in the gutter.
There was nothing. No blood. No bullet hole. No murder weapon. Nothing except...
A lamp post. He had walked into the lamp post.'
Also I found that the chapters to do with sex were not necessary. Overall this book is strange, interesting and different... I would not recommend this book.
Rabbid Dwarf (08/01/11)

On the Fence
When I first saw the book I thought that it looked very interesting and was looking forward to reading it so yes I did judge the book by its cover.

A few chapters into the book and my mind started changing, I got into it quite a lot and was enjoying the way the author has written this book. I really enjoyed how well from my point of view I can see that there are two "people"talking in this book. The bold writing I think is more like fate talking and obviously the the other one is the narrator. E.g Chapter 55 (in bolded writing) Justin.
(unbolded)The voice again.It hurt his head to listen, he lapsed back into the warm drift of turquoise sea.
(bolded) Justin?
(unbolded) go away.

Not wanting to sound immature here, though the chapters with sexual content did not really amuse me and I found it very annoying and went into to much detail. You can tell he is sexually frustrated but it did not need to be said over and over again.

When someone asks "what did you think of the book?" my answer would have to be I don't know. I cannot decide whether I like it enough to say it was good, or dislike it to say it was terrible.
anonymous ninja (08/01/11)

totally amazing. LOL JOKES.
I find this book absolutely horrible. The plot was ridiculously ridiculous. The plot made no sense and had no moral behind it what-so-ever. I felt like it was a waste of time reading it, and the ending was weak. I didn't like how he always seemed to be fantasizing about sex. I'm not being immature but I just think that there's a limit. And this book has definitely surpassed that limit. We are in year 9 and I don't think we need to be hearing about people fantasizing about sex just yet. I found that the book went into too much detail for example on page 53, the detail that was put on the page went a bit too far. I think that they could of put more detail into things that actually mattered and had a meaning rather then putting detail into things that didn't matter as much. IN CONCLUSION I THINK THIS BOOK WAS HORRIBLE AND THATS THAT.
Soraka&APYi Combo (08/01/11)

Very interesting
I have not completed this book but i am finding it interesting. This has very a very strange story and the main character is very strange and has a very dirty mind. A lot of the time he thinks of sex and thinks of things in sexual ways. For example he is waiting at the train station and has a delusion of him having sex with Agnes. Fate is very interesting but does extremely cruel things without thought. Book is not bad.
Kitkat (08/01/11)

Squeamish
There isn't much detail in this book, especially on characters. The storyline seems to kind-of drag along, so that there are a couple of bits that might be vaguely interesting, but most of the scenes in the book seem to just drag on. It is unrealistic, especially with the plane crashing in the airport. I have never heard of a disaster like that happening. The book seems to revolve around sex way too much, and those scenes are just cringeworthy. Actually, that is the perfect word to describe this book; cringeworthy.
An (08/01/11)

really like someone put somethings in the case
Sometimes it's worth taking a look at human existence from a grand perspective, rising up and seeing the bigger picture. These are the massive concerns of the flailing "hero" who lollops from adventure to misadventure, via catastrophe, in Meg Rosoff's intrepid new novel.

• Book Jacket: Only Child