Reader reviews and comments on Water for Elephants, plus links to write your own review.

Water for Elephants

May 2007, 368 pages

There are currently 51 reader reviews for Water for Elephants

jsanders16 (01/11/12)

Fantastic
Great for adults, some material not recommended for people under 16. Great way to capture the essence of the great depression.
Mabel :) (01/08/12)

The Help
I can't wait for the movie to come out! The way that the author uses the old-timey dialogue is PERFECT for this book! It helps you understand where the characters are coming from.
amanda (05/22/11)

Water For Elephants
This is my favorite book, I love the characters!:)
mary (04/18/11)

water for elephants
The book was enlightening. I can hardly wait for the movie. I think Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson will pair up just fine for this movie
Heather (04/07/11)

Awesome Book & Not at All Too Graphic
For anyone who thinks this amazing book is too graphic, you must have been under a rock for many, many years. There are certainly graphic descriptions, however, none are that offensive. Sex & violence are a part of life...it's time people just accept it. If you don't want to read about sex or violence, stay in the Children's or Christian department of the bookstore. That's where you'll find your kind of literature. Let us progressive adults read what we like.

The book deftly blends history, humor, and human emotions into a wonderful tale that will entertain just about anyone. For those who find it offensive, I warn you to stay away from a little book called Geek Love. Focusing on the "freaks" in the circus, Geek Love is something I could understand someone finding truly offensive. & it was an assigned book for me in college! Water for Elephants is an elevating story with a heart. Check it out!
kelly (02/01/11)

water for elephants
By far the best book I have read in a long time..One I will keep and re-read often..Can't wait for the movie!
Lisa Marie (02/01/11)

Could not put it down
I think the most important aspect of books is feeling whether you could actually see the events on page come to life in your mind. In reading Water for Elephants in less than one day, I found that happened to me.

People talk of writing styles, character development, and whether a writer is established enough to have a book that is already as popular as it is (and have a Hollywood movie being made about it). I tell you with this one, make your own opinion.

I love how the author authentically researched the circus to add in non-fiction details that really intrigue the reader. The love story is compelling and the end while it does seem unbelievable provides for a surprisingly happy, magical ending.

Read Water for Elephants and make up your own mind.
Gail (01/29/11)

Water for Elephants
Loved this book. Didn't want it to end--missed all the characters when it was over. With the movie coming out, I could visualize the people, which made it even more enjoyable.

Jake

• Book Jacket: Calypso
    Calypso
    by David Sedaris
    David Sedaris' Calypso is every bit as hilarious and irreverent, as clever and incisive, as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Word Is Murder
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
    Driving Miss Norma
    by Ramie Liddle, Tim Bauerschmidt

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E