Reader reviews and comments on Three Cups of Tea, plus links to write your own review.

One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time

by David O. Relin, Greg Mortenson

Mar 2006, 352 pages
    Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 79 reader reviews for Three Cups of Tea

Joe jet (08/01/08)

A Great Earth and Mind Moving book!
I believe that every kid in the USA should read this book for it is so inspiring that it made me want to get off the couch and build something. As a kid my self Greg Mortenson & David O. Relin show how Dr. Greg simi normal american collage student reached out to the kids in Pakistan and change the world and the lives of many people. He Explains how a know buddy with too little money to buy a house can act for peace on earth by building schools. Instead of using guns, Greg Mortenson uses education to shape a more perfect world. After reading this book you are inclined to think differently about the worlds way of gaining peace and understanding. The reason I think my peers should read this book is simply because understanding is a two way street.
Ashton (07/17/08)

High School Student
I was recently able to read this book for extra credit in my 12th grade level 1 English class. I thought for sure it was going to be awesome since my English teacher raved about it all of the time. Maybe it's because I'm only 18, but this book was awful. The story line is amazing, but I would suffer through each page. I'm not one for stopping in the middle of books, but it just wasn't enjoyable to read.
musicreader (07/15/08)

Finnish the book!
I too felt that the writing was lacking and it took me forever to get through the first 150 pages. But I was interested in his mission and had to find out how he went from one school to many in such a turbulent part of the world, so I kept on going. And in the end I loved it. This man did such an amazing thing. It really changed the way I think about things in that area of the world and it makes you want to dig deeper and help a little bit. It makes you want Mr. Mortensen to be able to talk to our leaders and help them understand what really needs to be done. I do feel that Mr Relin's writing was poor, I wish it was written by Jon Krakauer, but at least his story was told.
Matthew (07/11/08)

Don't Waste Your Money
I love to read everything from fact to fiction and I had high hopes for this book but what is there to say when every time you open the book, your eyes feel heavy and within minutes you're in a light sleep? The idea of the story, the mission and accomplishment is FABULOUS, but the book is horrid to read. I only made it half through and just couldn't, as much as I wanted to, finish it.

Save your money, and borrow mine if you'd like to try reading it!
Tim Davison (07/04/08)

Not meant to Be Read as a Novel
I noticed some earlier reviewers carped about the writing style. This is not a novel, but a true account of a current mission. This is the inspiration that all readers should look to. The geographical odyssey aside, the fact that one man could and is making a difference in these times of manufactured fear and war is simply incredible. I will use this as an exemplar of a true hero's journey in my High School English classes. Everyone should require their children to read this account - regardless of the writing style.
TJ (06/18/08)

Three Cups of Tea
I could only read the first 120 pages as it was written so poorly. No doubt there is a need, but a 20 minute on tv interview would have been a better forum.
JKennedy (06/14/08)

Three Cups of Tea
Wow! Greg Mortenson clearly demonstrates the power of education and more importantly, the power of education for girls particularly in impoverished societies. Too bad this wasn't required reading for everyone in government. If we as a nation were to take Greg's lead and work to really understand the cultures outside our own, then use our money and resources to help educate the children then we would likely have a much more cooperative world. The message here is simple - provide all children with an education and they will grow up to be contributing members of their society; doctors, teachers, etc. instead of suicide killers. I know Greg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace prize, and I surely hope he will be nominated year-after-year until he wins - he deserves it.
Hutch (04/08/08)

Too much of a good thing
Great mission--poor medium. Relin's overblown, melodramatic and unselective writing makes what could be an inspiring story a drudgery to read. Too much detail, too much hero worship, too much redundancy. Characters are flat - a missed opportunity to introduce a culture to a world of readers. Half of this book would have been enough. But kudos to the work of CAI.

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review