Reader reviews and comments on Three Cups of Tea, plus links to write your own review.

Three Cups of Tea

One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time

by David O. Relin, Greg Mortenson

Three Cups of Tea

Mar 2006, 352 pages
    Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 79 reader reviews for Three Cups of Tea

The T-A-N-E (09/06/10)

Painful to read, despite the great storyline.
The writing of this book pained my soul more each page. The metaphors are outright awful. This one really got to me (more so than the other thousands):

"The images, like stones buried among coals to bake loaves of kurba, are too hot to touch." -in reference to a girl who's sister died, trying to remember events.

Had this book not been a school assignment, I would rather have shoved glass under my eyelids than ever try to read it. The writing is atrocious, and made my reading experience utterly terrible. The only reason I didn't put a 1 for the rating was because the story is amazing. Let's be honest, this guy did more than what most people could imagine doing, and he did it well. Kudos to him. However, the way it was illustrated through words literally made me want to stick my finger in a pencil sharpener. This has ridiculously bad writing. Bad bad bad. I've read depressed teenagers' poems with better metaphors.
bubbles (09/06/10)

dull
Tree cups of tea was a very dull book in my opinion ! I had to read the book for a project for school and I got very bored every time I read a chapter in the book ! I think it should have been more exciting !
alex (08/24/10)

boring
I did not find this book very interesting but that is just my opinion because I like more of the action packed adventures.
Pat O (08/20/10)

A MUST read for ALL ages anywhere in the world.
This book is an amazing read. I opened it last week and I couldn't put it down. I cried a few times because I was overwhelmed by this man's tenacity and integrity. He is an inspiration!

I have read many of the reviews on "Three Cups of Tea" and I am disappointed in people who state on any level that the book is a poor read.

I have bought four more copies of the book to give to my adult children and one for my best friend. I intend to pass the one I have around as much as I can!

How ONE person can make a difference is often an ignored statement; however this book proves that ONE person can make a difference and Greg Mortenson did. Shame on anyone for negating any of this man's gentle caring soul.

God bless Greg Mortenson and his family. Mr. Mortenson proves that when it comes to kindness and learning - there are no borders!
Eva (07/25/10)

Inspiring story - poorly written
I am very impressed with the inspiring and uplifting quest of one man to make a difference. The subject of this book motivates and owes but the quality writing is so poor that I find myself having to put the book down to recover. Most sentences start with "Mortenson....." The plot is very linear and it ignores many other characters that could have brought more dimension and interest to the story line.
Susan (06/05/10)

It's been sitting on my shelf TOO LONG!!
An avid reader, I bought this book when it first came out. It has been sitting on my shelf as I read the most popular novels by my favorite authors. Last week, I had no book to read and finally picked up "Three Cups of Tea" and simply could not put it down! The honesty and integrity of the experiences shared coupled with the skilled prose made this an unforgettable experience!! I could picture, not only K2 but the villages described with it's rich traditions and it's insurmountable needs!! I have already bought 5 additional copies and given them to friends letting them know that "Three Cups of Tea" is not a book but an experience!!! Bravo to Greg Mortensen for his work (I wish I had such courage!!) and thanks to David Oliver Relin for helping him tell his story!
Emmanuel Rayos (05/23/10)

Change of Perspective
This book really showed how a single individual can make a great difference in the world. Yes poverty is all around us. Financial crises victimizes all, even the so called powerful and rich countries. We, as individuals, can either complain or make our own mark in our own capacities. We don't need to leap tall buildings or be strong as steel to make a difference. We just have to have an open mind and a caring heart full of love and compassion.
Donna Creech (05/02/10)

Outraged
I just read this book. It was well written,but I must say as an American I am outraged. Why doesn't someone help all of those poor homeless people that live on the streets. A lot them of children in need. What about America people? It seems to me everyone is turning their backs on our own people.

One Month Free Membership

Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko