Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 75 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Patrick Libby (12/06/11)

I did not like it
When I came to a part talking about some woman digging in the snow for a boy with blood freezing on her hands seeing two hearts and then something about a WARM scream in her throat (I have never heard of any scream described as anything but icy or at least cold) - I gave up right there wondering why anyone in their right mind would even entertain the notion of publishing such a far out, non coherent fairy tail. I've heard better stories from people out of their mind on drugs on the streets of the big cities that made more sense than this. I could not get half way through it.
Haylee (11/29/11)

The book Thief
The very first page had me lost. The book had no point to it, not one. It told me stuff I already knew. It just went on and on.
ILOVEBOOKS (01/27/11)

5 Stars All the Way!
This Book makes you laugh, makes you cry, and introduces you to a new way of thinking. From it's exiting plot to lovable characters...Book Thief all The way!
Michaela Adams-Kalama (01/17/11)

Absolutely Stunning!
This book is a masterpiece, created by the artist himself, Markus Zusak. This novel is impossible to put down once you start reading from the very first page. It's a mind-blowing story told from Death's point of view that makes you think about your own life, and it WILL make an impact in your life.
I highly recommend it to everyone, even those who don't read. It's a must read.
Marie (01/04/11)

The Book Thief
This book was just amazingly good. When I received it as a gift I didn't think much of it and put it off for a while. But one day I finally picked it up and couldn't put it down. This book literally made and laugh out loud and bawl my eyes out, and I am not just saying that. Everyone should read this book!!
MUSICofFAITH (01/03/11)

Markus is an outstanding author for many reasons. He uses foreshadowing to the point where he often blatantly reveals what is going to happen in the book, much to the irritation of some readers. However, this technique makes the reader focus on the character development as they approach these already known events. As a busy 17-year-old, I hardly have time to read anymore. This book, however, was worth the time out of my schedule. I've emerged with a new perspective on WWII, new techniques to use in my own writing, and with an improved philosophy of humanity. Highly recommended.
Georgia (12/19/10)

I have to read this book for a book club that im in. I don't like it at all because of all the curse words and German used in Markus Zusak's writing. it is hard for me to understand. other then that the concept is very good and it is an enjoyable book. however the previously listed dislikes rate very high on my scale and are why I reviewed this book with only a 2.
Erica (09/07/10)

The Book Thief 5 Stars
The Book Thief was an astounding book! I am 13 and have read this book twice. The first was assigned, but I loved it so much I had to read it again and I am planning on reading it a 3rd time! It never gets old! You may be older and thinking, "If a young person likes this, I must not!" but I'll have you know I am an advanced reader and do believe that it fits anyone's compatibility of 13 years. The book was enlightening and has some suspense. It's sad at times but otherwise an intriguing read. I LOVED The Book Thief and hope to read it a 3rd time!

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.

Cruel Beautiful World