MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Enrique's Journey, plus links to write your own review.

Enrique's Journey

by Sonia Nazario

Enrique's Journey

Feb 2006, 320 pages
    Jan 2007, 336 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Enrique's Journey

C++ (09/06/07)

Absolute Propaganda
This book should never have been published due to the simply fact that it has nothing to do with reality. The book focuses on this poor little family that could "never have been able to make it out of poverty" in the hope and aim to cause the reader to pity them; thus justifying the simple fact that they are breaking laws of two countries. It does not matter what you are doing, does the end ever justify the means? Because if you really believe that this is okay, then you are doing exactly what the Nazis did in WW2, or what the communists did during the time of the USSR. Anyone who reads this book needs to read Farenheit 451 to see what will happen if they continue to support books like this.
Christine Clapp (03/10/07)

Both heart wrenching and thought provoking
This book is about mothers who make the ultimate sacrifice - they leave their young kids in their home country where little kids are forced to work/beg so the family can maybe eat; they make an amazingly dangerous journey to a completely foreign land (US); they try to work as much as possible and live, yet send as much money as possible back home - all in hopes of keeping their kids in school so they have some possibility - maybe their only hope - of getting out of the utter poverty they live in. The tragedy of all this is that the moms almost never can afford to bring their kids to the US or to go back home, and, they usually "lose" the kids they left behind in the process. Those kids feel so abandoned and are so emotionally scarred by the experience they join gangs, get addicted to drugs, or get pregnant young - all undoing their "chances" their mom is working so hard for.The author asks - what would you do if your kids were starving, at this was the only perceived possibility for a better life for your kids? Could I envision myself doing whatever needs to be done so my kids could have better chances in life? What heart wrenching decisions these women are making. They have all my respect. I want to give this book as a gift to all my friends so they can know this side of the story and know these people's plight. And God strike me dead if I ever complain again about what I don't have - because we truly have it all.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun