Reader reviews and comments on All The Pretty Horses, plus links to write your own review.

All The Pretty Horses

by Cormac McCarthy

All The Pretty Horses

Apr 1992, 401 pages
    Nov 2002, 301 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for All The Pretty Horses

Power Reviewer Suzanne G. (12/17/12)

So good . . .
This book is the first in a trilogy. I wondered at first if I was reading the book with such wonderful reviews or was it a “same title” book. Thank goodness, after taking more time with my reading, slowing down and even rereading the Spanish dialogue to get the gist of the conversation, I fell in love. John Grady Cole will be a favorite character henceforth. A wonderful story.
Katherine (08/11/08)

One of my favorite books ever!
This book, and the other two in the Border Trilogy, captured my heart from the beginning. McCarthy does a fabulous job with character development, so you feel like you really know the main character and understand how he thinks as he comes of age. To top this off, what impressed me most is McCarthy's ability to describe the land, the people in it, the animals, the sky, etc. There are very few books where I really feel as if I'm place, but All the Pretty Horses took me from the U.S. to Mexico and never let me go. Some might need the first 30-50 pages to really get into this book, and the descriptions do make for a slower-paced novel. It's not a thriller, and it doesn't read like one. Personally, I can't recommend it highly enough. I've read it twice. I've actually read this one and the Crossing twice because I had to read them again when Cities of the Plains finally came out.

• Book Jacket: All We Have Left
    by Louise Penny
  • Book Jacket: Homegoing
    Homegoing
    by Yaa Gyasi

Not doing more than the average is what keeps the average down.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: