What readers think of Bee Season, plus links to write your own review.

Bee Season

May 2001, 275 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Bee Season

Kat

Mindblowing
This book just blew my mind. It's that simple.
Carolyn Peterson

My Opinion about
We listened to the tape (12 hours) on a road trip for the past 2 days, and thoroughly enjoyed. It really took the boredom out of the trip, and kept us awake. Development of the characters and attention to detail were very good. The author's use of humor and sensitivity in dealing with a story of what seemed to be a "normal" family,which became unraveled as a result of the attention given to the daughter, who was successful in the spelling bee. The thing we couldn't agree on was the significance of the final spelling Bee, and whether that was intentional.
Melissa

Spell L I N G E R I N G
While I really enjoyed this book, I felt the sadness and longing of the all the characters - it really tore at my heartstrings. While it wasn't an action packed thriller, I couldn't put it down and the characters stayed with me long after I finished the book.
Kim

Good writing, annoying characters
I picked this book up used, on a whim, as I’d seen it listed as a well-reviewed book in a number of places. It’s one of the few times I’ve been disappointed when relying on book reviews to choose a novel. Granted, the book is relatively well written, with wonderful characterizations. The problem is the characters and situations are just flat-out annoying. The term “dysfunctional” doesn’t even begin to describe this family. One character does exhibit a bit of growth by the end of the novel, but overall the characters end up the way they started: Totally messed up. I thought this novel was definitely over-rated.
The Honor Student

This Book
Bee Season is a remarkably well written book. This book, however, could have given off the same meaning if the author did not focus so much on sexuality. Many students were required to read this book and i don't think it is well suited for their age.
M_Kittle

Bee Season
I do not like it, because it is very weird and it does not grab me into the book. And why are the regionals happening on page 68? And she is going to go to the nationals what happened to the state spelling bee? It has like just disappeared. It does not work that way you win regionals and then goto nationals. No, you go regionals, state, then nationals. That is why I feel it is not good because the facts are not right.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The Light Pirate
    The Light Pirate
    by Lily Brooks-Dalton
    The lynchpin of The Light Pirate by Lily Brooks-Dalton, a novel split into four parts, is the main ...
  • Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Wade in the Water
    by Nyani Nkrumah

A gripping debut novel of female power and vulnerability, race, and class set in a small Mississippi town in the early 1980s.

Exiles
    by Jane Harper

A captivating new mystery from New York Times bestselling and award-winning author Jane Harper.

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

It's A G T Me

We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are