MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Jun 2005, 272 pages
    Feb 2006, 288 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Pam Jones (11/17/06)

Fasinating Description of Chinese Foot Binding
At my CHATTER Book Club, we all enjoyed reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" and thought we'd had enough of historical Chinese books. However, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" was very different. It provided descriptions of the fascinating practice of foot binding while weaving a story of the special friendship of two girls. The discussion of this book was spirited, with 11 women all excited to share their comments about this wonderful book.
Erica (03/10/06)

A good read
I was intrigued by the topic of this book - women in China during the time of footbinding and total submission to one's family, husband and husband's family - and THAT story is well-told. Although I believe the author tries hard to develop the relationship between Snowflower and the narrator, and the narrator and other characters, I never found myself caring about or fully engaged with ANY character. I truly enjoyed the story that was told, and the manner in which it was told.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

by Simon Tolkien

• Book Jacket: A Question of Mercy
    A Question of Mercy
    by Elizabeth Cox
    Authors leave little gifts for readers, which seem to turn up at the exact right moment. Perhaps a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Terranauts
    The Terranauts
    by T.C. Boyle
    In an increasingly noisy and fractious world, the idea of "getting away from it all" holds ...
    The Gardens of Consolation
    by Parisa Reza
    The Gardens of Consolation introduces 12-year-old Talla, and her 20-year-old husband Sadar, as they ...

H W S W T Devil S H A L S