MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

by Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Jun 2005, 272 pages
    Feb 2006, 288 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Pam Jones (11/17/06)

Fasinating Description of Chinese Foot Binding
At my CHATTER Book Club, we all enjoyed reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" and thought we'd had enough of historical Chinese books. However, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" was very different. It provided descriptions of the fascinating practice of foot binding while weaving a story of the special friendship of two girls. The discussion of this book was spirited, with 11 women all excited to share their comments about this wonderful book.
Erica (03/10/06)

A good read
I was intrigued by the topic of this book - women in China during the time of footbinding and total submission to one's family, husband and husband's family - and THAT story is well-told. Although I believe the author tries hard to develop the relationship between Snowflower and the narrator, and the narrator and other characters, I never found myself caring about or fully engaged with ANY character. I truly enjoyed the story that was told, and the manner in which it was told.

• Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

If I Forget You
    by Thomas Christopher Greene

A haunting tale of lost love from the critically acclaimed author of The Headmaster's Wife.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win The Charmers

The Charmers by Elizabeth Adler

"This tale of romantic suspense makes the perfect beach read."
—Library Journal