MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Other Side of the Sky, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

by Farah Ahmedi, Tamim Ansary

Apr 2005, 256 pages
    Jun 2006, 256 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Other Side of the Sky

MQUpus (06/30/09)

The other side of the sky
I would say that it shows how foolish people can be and how they are changing into people who see what they did wrong. It did not show that how Americans treat immigrants from other countries at all, but that is really good
Schulz (05/18/08)

The Other Side of the Sky
I had to read this book for my school and it was absolutely amazing! Farah is such an inspiration to me and a wonderful role model. What she has done makes me feel like if she could do that, than I could. I thought that my life was not so well, but she has had many many worse experiences than I did. Farah is a strong and brave girl and I will always remember this book and how terrifying her life was.
Courtney (04/08/08)

In the book The Other Side of the Sky< by Farah Ahmedi, there is a girl who astonishes me. She suffered every day of her life along with her mother. The loss of her family, homeland and well, leg, shows me how difficult it is around the world. This makes me realize that I take the fact that I live in a country that will protect and care for me when I need it, for granted. I was absolutely surprised in my reaction to this book. Before I read it, I foresaw myself disliking this book due to the fact it sounded like a sob story. Although, after reading it, I found myself learning a whole lot about what people in the Middle East have to do to survive and it's incredible.
pratima bisht (02/22/08)

The other side of the sky
I could not stop myself crying after reading this book.I found myself emotionally attached with the story.This book is inspiration for all the human beings, who are still living their life on the edge, in fact we all should salute Farah Ahmedi for her courage and faith on herself.
Heinous (01/01/08)

garbage
The absolute worst book I've ever been forced to read. I would rather gouge out my eyes with a fork than to read another page of that mindless blather. My only regret is that she did not trip and land on her face before the landmine went off, because then we all would have been put out of her misery.

-Heinous
kelsey (10/28/07)

AMAZING
I was expecting this book to be boring and lifeless but it took my breath away. It was very exciting to read all the challenges she came upon in this book. Farah proved to be an extraordinary girl and changed my point of view about many things. What I love is that it teaches you about a whole different culture and it was written not too long ago. I recomend this to anyone!! No joke--one of the best books I've ever read!
arielle (09/04/06)

suprisesurprise.
I had to read this book over the summer for school and I immediately put it at the bottom of the list because I was pretty much dreading having to read it. After waiting until the last possible moment to start reading it yesterday, i found that i finished it in a few hours. it was amazing. i'm actually writing a paper on it right now. well, i just thought i'd throw that out there for all of you kids like me, who assumed this would be a terrible book, and decided to look for reviews instead. give it up and read the book.
Tammy (07/14/06)

Uplifting
I too read this book in one evening, I just could not put it down. It was a very true look at how things are for children living in Afganistan, and the courage to change ones life to better herself. I was touched by her strength and her ambition and I also agree that this book should be read by all teens who think the have bad lives and teens who want to better the world. I would love to know how she is now and what things she has done with her life. You just want to take her into your arms and never let go,Thank you Farah for sharing this incredible story .

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun