MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Other Side of the Sky, plus links to write your own review.

The Other Side of the Sky

Jun 2006, 256 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Other Side of the Sky

Morgan (02/15/15)

GREAT BOOK
This is a wonderful book! i would recommend to anyone!
Queen Alba (06/11/14)

Awesome
This book was the best, I read it with my class and let me tell you, it's not what I expected. You had better read it!
GMA (06/29/11)

Wonderful
I thought this book was wonderful. I had to read it for school and normaly I hate memoirs (and books people choose out for me) but i have to say the journey farah went through is amazing, I don't think I could ever go through what she did.
oprah (05/03/11)

Good at some parts bad at others, but mostly wrong
The other side of the sky portrays a wrong image and bases false information regarding the Muslim way of life and its practice. With all respect, Farah is oblivious of the politics in her country and bases her opinions on her own experience as a child. The book begins to become boring after her arrival to the U.S. This book should have Farah reaching a higher degree of accomplishment and understanding.
idette (04/24/11)

inspiring
This book was inspiring because it inspired many people to move on to reaching their biggest goal from something very important they lost.This is also amazing because of all what she went through throughout her life to reach her goal.I would recommend this book to anyone out there wanting to read a good book.
Power Reviewer Louise J. (03/22/11)

An Inspirational Memoir for Everyone!
Farah was seven-years-old and had overslept one morning. Worried that she was late for school she decided to take a short cut through a field, saving her two or three minutes but little did Farah know that decision would turn out to be the worst of her life.

(spoilers removed)

Farah is an inspiration to all of us that even in the direst of circumstances and pain that we can survive and endure. It takes a deep faith and commitment to deal with what Farah did but she is now a beacon of light for many.

This was an amazing memoir which I would recommend to anyone and you’ll be amazed at what Farah and her mother went through.
nahida (05/10/10)

hmmmm
It was a good book.... I used to read fiction in my Farsi language... this book was my first English book that I had to read just for school... I started forcefully but I really enjoyed reading it.... I am from her country but I had never been in Afghanistan.... and somehow it changed my feeling against my Afghans who had been coming from there right through Canada.... I can see my each Afghan that how they had suffered back in Afghanistan... and I'm sure each of my Afghans has a story...I am proud of Farah, and if one day I see her I want to thank her for her best.... I had to read it in class but because of my emotions my teacher let me go home and I could skip my class so I could read it at my house.... somehow The Other Side of the Sky changed my life....
Christina Mao (08/09/09)

The Most Heartwarming story of a Girl from Pakistan
Farah is not only the most amazing girl I've ever read about but the bravest. She has this deep knowledge and grace. Coming from a middle-class deep-religion community, moving to a rich Germany, then back, then ending up in the U.S would seem to much to handle. Nope. Farah perseveres and works hard to become a true "American"

• Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...
    The Lost Child
    by Caryl Phillips
    The Lost Child is a modern novel constructed within a historical frame, invoking one of the most ...

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q