Reader reviews and comments on The Year of Pleasures, plus links to write your own review.

The Year of Pleasures

by Elizabeth Berg

The Year of Pleasures

Apr 2005, 224 pages
    Mar 2006, 225 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Year of Pleasures

Lynnette Krause (04/17/06)

Moving and Entertaining
Elizabeth Berg never fails to move me. She knows how to touch on every emotion there is and she has such a way with words. She knows how to make me laugh, cry, or just smile at those little ordinary things that we all take for granted in life. I did not want this story to end.

I have read most of her books and I have loved them all. I am always telling my friends what a wonderful writer Berg is and if I could meet any author in the world I would choose her, because her books are not only moving and entertaining, but they make you want to know the author.
Becca (03/28/06)

My thoughts
I agree with most of what susan said except I do not see how their relationship was unrealistic. What do you consider a realistic relationship? Hating each other and wanting to get out of it every day of your life? They never said that they did not argue or disagree on some things, they simply said that they were a great match for each other and they loved each other. I would like to know these "untrue" characters. Anyway i thought the book was a lovely story with a deep passionate meaning.
Susan (05/30/05)

This is my first Elizabeth Berg novel. I was excited to read it because of all the great reviews. I was very disappointed, even to the point of being uninterested in ever reading her again. I did feel that Ms. Berg must have done alot of reasearch on the effects of widowhood. Not having gone through it myself, I felt that her character was displaying the grief, the irrational thinking, the terrors and the lonliness that new widows must go through. But only new widows from a unrealistic perfect marriage. I grew very tired of the descriptions of the perfect John. I was also exasperated at a woman my age who had not developed a seperate identity from her husband. I thought that went out with my mother's generation. Other characters and situations also rang untrue. For a better read on widowhood, try Lolly Winston's "Good Grief."

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.