Reader reviews and comments on The Sociopath Next Door, plus links to write your own review.

The Ruthless Versus the Rest of Us

by Martha Stout

Feb 2005, 256 pages
    Mar 2006, 256 pages

There are currently 41 reader reviews for The Sociopath Next Door

Wife # 4 (02/18/07)

Wow
I had a friend give my ex husband this title and when I saw this book I was compelled to read it.

I am wife number 4, I have a child with this man and he has a child form a previous relationship and has custody of that child. I have been fighting to maintain custody of my child and only visits that are supervised, knowing all along that he was not a suitable or capable and even less of a caring responsible parent. I can not convince this system of the real issues all they see is me "a bitter ex wife" when I am not, all I want is to be free of this man and protect my daughters physical and emotional well being. No family court judge knows better than me - the person who parented with him - what kind of parent he is, or rather is not.

4 months after I have left he has moved in wife #5. No emotion, no remorse for yet another failed family and loss of another mother figure for his oldest daughter. I have nothing, no home, no support payments, he drained my savings and I have lost my business. He lies better than I tell the truth and I was at the very edge of my sanity, believing it must be me, I must be crazy.

Thank god for this book! I can only hope that if I can win an evaluation through court, the Dr. will see through the smoke and mirrors and I can be free to guide my daughter safely through her youth and hopefully teach her to identify a sociopath better than I did.

If you are involved with in any way a sociopath - read this book, twice.
Lori (12/14/06)

The Sociopath in my Home
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it provided the springboard for my own psychological healing. Within the first pages, I saw my own sister described and realized that she is behind many of my problems. I also learned more effective ways of responding to her and protecting myself.
april arrandt (11/21/06)

sociopath next door
An update for all of you readers.

My healing has finally begun. I'm having fun,
laughing often and enjoying life. Its been so so long.
Never doubt you can make it because I have been
there. My (our) daughter has done very well without
my ex as well (that was surprising to me). Take back
your life!!
martha (11/16/06)

Finally!
Finally someone has exposed these cruel evil people for what they are!

I am a domestic violence survivor. I always thought my ex husband was a psychopath. When I would explain to the police or the court system all the physical abuse my children and I suffer at my ex-husband's hands , they would not believe me. My ex-husband is an expert at gaslighting. These people are very hard to prosecute because they gaslight. The court and the people who have the power to stop him won't do anything because they don't have any solid "proof" that he did anything wrong.

The truly scary part is that he still is allowed visitation with the children.

Thank you for writing this book. Hopefully it will open the eyes of enough people who are in the position to stop these people.
G. C. Taylor (10/04/06)

The Sociopath Next Door
This is the basic problem we face with many current politicians and those that fincane their campaigns. We must remember that "one in 25" can be sociopathic. These are the people who take us into war and believe that they are doing the right thing.

Thank you Dr. Stout for bringing this problem to light.
Alison (04/04/06)

Loved the book, don't know how practical it can be in protecting yourself from a socio!
Finally someone is debunking the myth of the cold-hearted serial killer as a *sociopath*, while leaving those who don't kill unmentioned. Those who use lies, cheating and stealing to wreak a path of destruction through innocent lives. This book is an interesting read for those interested in social or criminal psychology.
Paul (07/19/05)

An important book
It is my view that this book should be a must read for anyone in law inforcement, social work, law, and anyone working with sizable groups of people, such as a corporate setting. A very important book.
Veronica (06/13/05)

Fascinating read
Outstanding book, especially if you enjoy reading about human behavior. The author states that 4% of the population (1 in 25) is sociopathic and then describes their behavioral characteristics and how to protect yourself from them. This is an eye-opening book which I highly recommend.

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All