Reader reviews and comments on Kira-Kira, plus links to write your own review.

by Cynthia Kadohata

Feb 2004, 256 pages
    Jan 2007, 272 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for Kira-Kira

Leysha (11/27/06)

kira kira
This book was excellent and i think anyone who is loosing a person very close to them will love or anyone who is really close to their family or siblings i give this book a 5 and would recommend it to anyone who can read !!
Katey (11/01/06)

In the beginning, I really liked the story. Then, it sort of dragged on, and my interest waned. I kept reading, hoping the action would keep moving; that it would get better. In my opinion, it really didn't. It's all-in-all an OK book. Definitely not one of my favorites, but better than some of the stuff out there.
Dani Popiwchak (09/15/06)

Great Read!
It's no wonder that this book god a medal! I really hate reading! But, while reading this book I looked forward to reading a chapter every night! It was an amazing story, that made me cry! I would recommend this to any person who wants to enjoy reading in a big way! Two thumbs very high up!
Sasha (05/17/06)

The best book ever!!!!!!!!
I loved Kira- Kira. When I read this book for a book report, I had to write a review, here's what I wrote:
Dreamy, imaginative, and fearlessly observant, Lynn is a golden combination of older sister, best friend, and personal hero for Katie, who is four years younger. Katie's earliest word, "kira-kira," meaning "glittering" in Japanese, is Lynn's favorite, and the source of many discussions about what--the sea, sky, and eyes, especially--best merits this treasured adjective. Exceptionally close, the Takeshima sisters spent time playing in corn fields around their Iowa home, and scheming about the sky-blue house they longed to own before the loss of the family store drove them to stay with relatives in Georgia, a hostile place for Japanese-Americans in the 1950s. With both parents working punishing hours at the bleak, oppressive poultry plant, Katie must care for Lynn when she begins a long, harrowing fight with lymphoma. As Katie struggles to remain buoyant in a wash of sadness, the notion of "kira-kira" becomes more important than ever.
Sara (01/16/06)

Kira-Kira is a shining, glittering book.
This book is a very emotional and heart-pounding novel. I chose to read this book from a reading list. Because of the title, I thought it would be interesting and more original than other books. As I began to read, I realized that these fictional characters could very well be real people. This book touched my heart, and made me incredibly thankful and humble to be who I am. This was an amazing book, and I would recommend it to anyone of any age.
the #1 fan of Kira Kira (01/09/06)

a rich book
i got this book thinking it would be boring just to read it for a book report but after i read it i loved it i really hope there is sequal to it this is one of the greatist books i have ever read cynthia kadohata if you read this you are a genius!!!!!!
vanessa (12/14/05)

the is really good i love it it was one of the best book i read and i read a lot. i think that you should make kira-kira2 *******
M. Rivera (10/05/05)

Sensitivity & Humor
I read Kira-Kira as a college assignment for a literacy education class and read it in two days. I wasn't able to put it down. One reason being that i had to give the book back to the prof. and the other being that the novel really captured my attention. :) It was very decriptive and left visual images in my head as I went on. The humor makes you smile and laugh as the drama touches your heart at the same time. Page after page anticipating to see what happened next I continued till i got to the end. It was great, and made me think of similar situatons in my own life. I can't wait to share this book with my future teenage class. I think it is more appropriate for grade 5 and up. The novel will teach them about family relationships, racism, the importance of getting along with others, hardwork, losing a loved one. not giving up, thinking positive and much more. Thankyou for the assignment prof. M.White. I look forward to reading other peices from this author.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.