Reader reviews and comments on Kira-Kira, plus links to write your own review.

Kira-Kira

by Cynthia Kadohata

Kira-Kira

Feb 2004, 256 pages
    Jan 2007, 272 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for Kira-Kira

Leysha (11/27/06)

kira kira
This book was excellent and i think anyone who is loosing a person very close to them will love or anyone who is really close to their family or siblings i give this book a 5 and would recommend it to anyone who can read !!
Katey (11/01/06)

Ehhh
In the beginning, I really liked the story. Then, it sort of dragged on, and my interest waned. I kept reading, hoping the action would keep moving; that it would get better. In my opinion, it really didn't. It's all-in-all an OK book. Definitely not one of my favorites, but better than some of the stuff out there.
Dani Popiwchak (09/15/06)

Great Read!
It's no wonder that this book god a medal! I really hate reading! But, while reading this book I looked forward to reading a chapter every night! It was an amazing story, that made me cry! I would recommend this to any person who wants to enjoy reading in a big way! Two thumbs very high up!
Sasha (05/17/06)

The best book ever!!!!!!!!
I loved Kira- Kira. When I read this book for a book report, I had to write a review, here's what I wrote:
Dreamy, imaginative, and fearlessly observant, Lynn is a golden combination of older sister, best friend, and personal hero for Katie, who is four years younger. Katie's earliest word, "kira-kira," meaning "glittering" in Japanese, is Lynn's favorite, and the source of many discussions about what--the sea, sky, and eyes, especially--best merits this treasured adjective. Exceptionally close, the Takeshima sisters spent time playing in corn fields around their Iowa home, and scheming about the sky-blue house they longed to own before the loss of the family store drove them to stay with relatives in Georgia, a hostile place for Japanese-Americans in the 1950s. With both parents working punishing hours at the bleak, oppressive poultry plant, Katie must care for Lynn when she begins a long, harrowing fight with lymphoma. As Katie struggles to remain buoyant in a wash of sadness, the notion of "kira-kira" becomes more important than ever.
Sara (01/16/06)

Kira-Kira is a shining, glittering book.
This book is a very emotional and heart-pounding novel. I chose to read this book from a reading list. Because of the title, I thought it would be interesting and more original than other books. As I began to read, I realized that these fictional characters could very well be real people. This book touched my heart, and made me incredibly thankful and humble to be who I am. This was an amazing book, and I would recommend it to anyone of any age.
the #1 fan of Kira Kira (01/09/06)

a rich book
i got this book thinking it would be boring just to read it for a book report but after i read it i loved it i really hope there is sequal to it this is one of the greatist books i have ever read cynthia kadohata if you read this you are a genius!!!!!!
vanessa (12/14/05)

Awesome
the is really good i love it it was one of the best book i read and i read a lot. i think that you should make kira-kira2 *******
M. Rivera (10/05/05)

Sensitivity & Humor
I read Kira-Kira as a college assignment for a literacy education class and read it in two days. I wasn't able to put it down. One reason being that i had to give the book back to the prof. and the other being that the novel really captured my attention. :) It was very decriptive and left visual images in my head as I went on. The humor makes you smile and laugh as the drama touches your heart at the same time. Page after page anticipating to see what happened next I continued till i got to the end. It was great, and made me think of similar situatons in my own life. I can't wait to share this book with my future teenage class. I think it is more appropriate for grade 5 and up. The novel will teach them about family relationships, racism, the importance of getting along with others, hardwork, losing a loved one. not giving up, thinking positive and much more. Thankyou for the assignment prof. M.White. I look forward to reading other peices from this author.

• Book Jacket: Boy Erased
    Boy Erased
    by Garrard Conley
  • Book Jacket: The Bones of Grace
    The Bones of Grace
    by Tahmima Anam
    Find Me Unafraid
    by Kennedy Odede, Jessica Posner
    With staggering emotional weight and keen awareness of love and humanity even in the darkest places,...

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko