Reader reviews and comments on Shadow of the Wind, plus links to write your own review.

Shadow of the Wind

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Shadow of the Wind

Apr 2004, 496 pages
    Jan 2005, 496 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Shadow of the Wind

Power Reviewer Elizabeth (06/29/10)

Ohhhh...outstanding...loved it
I would give the Shadow of the Wind more than ten stars if that were possible...this is my all-favorite book. I didn't want it to end.

I loved all the twists and turns and connections of the characters and the surprise letter at the end that Nuria wrote.

I actually went to Barcelona in August to and find all the places mentioned in the book. I loved Barcelona...what a beautiful city....all the places in the book were there, and my son and I visited them....it was fantastic.

I LOVED the Book. Thanks, Senor Zafon.
Chach (05/07/08)

The Shadow of the Wind
This book was amazing! I really loved it. It was enthralling with a magical ending that just took your breath away when the whole story unraveled. Definitely is a must read on everyones list.
Punchb0wl (01/18/08)

The Shadows of The Wind
A book that flows like poetry, from the descriptive language used for Barcelona to the characters so full of life that you feel a sense of loss when you finish the book. I've read this book twice, lost 2 copies to friends and bought a copy for my mother and brother. I feel greedy just reading the book more than once when I know friends who have yet to discover it.

I am still trying to find other works by the author but it appears this is the only one translated into English.
Power Reviewer Kim (01/12/08)

Best book I read in 2007
I'd put off reading this novel for awhile, since I typically have trouble concentrating on books that have been translated from another language. It sat on my shelf for about two years, until I got tired of my reading friends telling me to stop dallying & just read the darned thing. Well, my friends were right. I couldn't put this one down. The plot was original from the start, and kept me guessing until the very end. Definitely worth your time.
reader (11/13/06)

Best novel from Spain to date
This writer is painfully and obviously well read. With references from Nero to Gertrude Stein He shows off quite a bit but in spite of all of that the story is well put together and completely consuming. What a pleasant surprise.
AndrewL (02/27/05)

I won't say much, except to say that it is literature's job to take on a journey through the impossibility of our emotions, to let the ephemeral and the mysterious lead us, where in our normal lives the ordinary and the safe, the cognitive and sane, the normal, guide us. I love this book. I will always remember it, and wish that life were more like this, and sometimes less.
Kathleen White (02/21/05)

I read this book for a reading group, alongside 3 of my fellow group members and we all had trouble keeping our concentration on the story for the whole of the first half. We kept finding other trains of thought creeping in and enticing our thoughts away from the story. I must have read it twice over in my determination to stick with it. Then the second half the story took over and I roared downhill all the way, loving the twists and turns. I might add that I and my colleagues are used to reading unusual and intersting books, and I feel that in fairness my review reflects honestly on the text, and not on the fickleness of our concentration powers!
noel higgins (02/12/05)

In my opinion the read of a lifetime. Narrative style, but like reading poetry. Unforgettable. I had to ration my reading time to ensure that the experience of living alongside the words and characters would last a reasonable period of time. One of my top three all time favourites. Noel Higgins

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review