Reader reviews and comments on Mao's Last Dancer, plus links to write your own review.

Mao's Last Dancer

by Li Cunxin

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Mar 2004, 444 pages
    Mar 2005, 480 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Mao's Last Dancer

Franca McCabe (10/03/04)

I read this book whilst on holidays and found that I couldn't put it down. I read it in less than five days. I knew nothing of the author or ballet but the concept of the book appealed to me and I wasn't disappointed. I grew up in the same era as Cunxin in Australia and had a very different upbringing but I was still able to relate to his story. I will be reading the book again more slowly this time to enjoy his story once again.
Sabrina (09/17/04)

I love this book, I am chinese and my parents were a little better off, but they told me of the same hardships that their parents went through. Also Li mentioned a lot about MAO and he brainwashed a lot of people during that time. That is why certain people see different things from MAO's ERA
My father lived buring the MAO era and he has to pretend he agreed with MAO's teaching, if he didn't he would be sent to jail.

In the end, this book is very sentimental and very TRUE. I hope younger Asians (like myself) who forget their hertiage should read this book and understand what thir parents had to do to come to US and the scrafices they made
Lucia (08/21/04)

This is a really good book. Doing ballet myself i know what it is like relly good!
BookBrowse (05/28/04)

Ruth Wein
I could not put this book down. It is simply enthralling. One was drawn into Li Cunxin's very being and the reader was and in my opinion part of the whole journey, the hunger, pain. joy and achievements of the author. \In addition we were so fortunate to have this remarkable and talented person as a member of the Australian Ballet. He was just so wonderful to watch. I was also fortunate to speak with Cunxin and had arranged that he would speak to a women's group about his remarkable journey from a village in China to the board room of a merchant bank and to the Melbourne Stock exchange.

• Book Jacket: Pachinko
    Lincoln in the Bardo
    by George Saunders

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home: but unlike charity, it should end there.

K Your F C